Hidden Cameras

Kylie Riveron, Student Writer

Technological advancements are dangerous. As we improve upon our technology, devices become more accessible to the average person. It provides convenience and efficiency to those using it for the right reasons, but if the gadgets end up in the wrong hands, it could be devastating. 

One piece of technology that is especially threatening to others, is hidden cameras. They can be purchased for affordable prices and delivered within a few days. There have been reports of use of these tiny spy cameras in Airbnbs. In October of  2017, an Indiana couple decided to take a closer look at a smoke detector located in the master bedroom of their Florida Airbnb. This specific house had over 40 reviews from other supposedly satisfied guests, leaving no apparent evidence of issues within the house. When they looked inside the smoke detector, they found a hidden camera pointed directly at their bed, which had apparently been on and recording, in HD quality, since their arrival. Incidents like this happen often whether the criminal is caught in the act or not. 

Pennridge High School student, Corinn Mart, was asked if she ever looks for hidden cameras when in public or staying in a hotel. She answered, “No, I don’t know what hidden cameras would look like, I’m not really aware of it.” This is an issue that most encounter when trying to uncover the concealed surveillance. Hidden cameras can be clocks, smoke detectors, chargers, flash drives, shower gels, electrical outlets, tissue boxes, wifi adapters, and basically any ordinary object that could hold a minuscule camera. This is terrifying and frustrating to people who just want to enjoy the advantages of technology. 

A surveillance camera located in Pennridge High School’s hallway

To keep safe from this danger you should first and foremost always be aware of your surroundings. Keep an eye out on the obvious spots, don’t be naive and trust your gut. When trying to scout out hidden cameras, you should first check for reflective lights from the camera lens using a flashlight. Mr. Hockman, who’s career is based upon security says, “Typically the cameras used for hidden surveillance are more advanced, smaller versions of security cameras. Different kinds of security cameras are box cameras, bullets, or a dome camera, which is commonly used.”

You should then detect the RF broadcast of the camera by using your smartphone camera and scanning the room. If you see a tiny red light, then that is a hidden camera. The red light is not visible to the naked eye so it must be found with your smartphone camera.

Technology being used for wrongdoings is inevitable, like all things in life. Bad people with bad intentions will always take advantage of things with good intent. This is frustrating, but it is also reality. You should always be self-aware and smart in situations where your well-being could be jeopardized.