A Staple Perkasie Bar and Grill: Country Place Review

Bryn Spear, Student Writer

The Country Place is a beloved local restaurant that resides less than five minutes from Pennridge High School, in our very own Perkasie, Pa. This family restaurant has been open for over 45 years, and it is owned by Joe Werner. Werner opened the restaurant with Earl Foster after bartending in college with a dream of owning his own bar. Since its opening, it has become a family run establishment, now being run by the father-son team, with help from Joe Werner’s son, Joe Jr. This cash-only establishment has become a staple in our community, known for its very affordably priced American food, drinks, and catering. Their comforting food is the reason why the business can be seen lined with locals most days of the week. In 2007, Country Place was even voted Best Family Restaurant by the Best of Bucks. This restaurant is the perfect place for high schoolers with a budget to get a meal. 

The menu here is comprised of classic American cuisine. This mainly includes steaks, pasta, seafood, and sandwiches. The jalapeno poppers are a nice way to start your meal here. The poppers have a welcomingly familiar taste of spice with a cream cheese stuffing. They are well paired with a sweet, but tangy dipping sauce to go with them. Pennridge student, Jake McBride, says that his favorite thing to order here is a bacon cheddar cheeseburger, which he has found “is better than fast food with a better price too.”  ‘The Weber’ sandwich is another comfortingly familiar food that is nicely done by the Country Place. This cheese steak has just the right amount of cheese, which contrasts nicely with fried onions, lettuce, and tomato. The serving of this sandwich is also a guaranteed filler, which will not leave you going home hungry. The service that comes with the food is also pleasant and friendly, going well with a good dinner meal. The staff states that they “work hard to keep providing the same great food and great prices that people have come to expect from Country Place.” All in all, a meal here is not overly fancy, but will certainly leave you satisfied without breaking the bank. 

The atmosphere of the Country Place is cozy and classic. When you walk into the building you are greeted by a relatively large lobby walled with wooden panels, a hostess stand, and plenty of bench room. However, with the number of customers during an average lunch or dinner rush, it is easy for the waiting area to quickly feel a little too crowded. To the left of the entrance you can find the bar area, which is walled off from the rest of the establishment. This area gives the feel of a Pennsylvania bar, stocked with a full array of drinks for customers of age and a classic, all wooden bar.  There are two different dining rooms with brick walls, with various pieces of artwork for public sale. The latest addition to the restaurant was the second dining room, which has a more modern feel to it. This is a very comfortable, open space which is lined with a wall of windows and a sky light featuring beautiful wooden beams. These windows add a nice natural lighting to the homey feel of the restaurant. The only critique that could be given about the atmosphere in the Country Place is that, depending on where you are in the building, it can feel a little bit crowded and difficult not to be in the way of others.