Behind the Scenes of a Jazz Competition

Johnny Sarro, Student Writer

Every year in early March, Pennridge High School hosts Jazz on the Ridge, an event in which high school jazz groups from all over the area can come and perform for the community. It is an enjoyable night of music, complete with concessions, judging and critiques, awards, and sometimes a quirky announcer to entertain the audience between performances. So what goes into planning an event like this?

Cavalcade of Bands Association (often referred to as simply Cavalcade) is a non-profit organization made up of hundreds of high school music programs, including Pennridge. As stated on their website, it is a firm belief of theirs that “controlled competition can be a positive educational tool wherein the process of music education can greatly enhance general education and life skills.” Jazz on the Ridge is part of the jazz competition season that Cavalcade oversees every spring, and it consequently follows the guidelines set by Cavalcade.

The season’s competition dates are secured over the summer prior to the season, and according to Pennridge High School band director Mr. Kevin Feher, big planning for the event usually starts in November. Bands come by invitation, and it has been custom for Pennridge to see neighboring districts such as Neshaminy, William Tennet, and Central Bucks attend. Payment owed to Cavalcade for the event fluctuates based on how many bands are attending. Three judges are also hired, as well as a tabulator. 

Other expenses for Pennridge specifically include security for the duration of the event and janitorial staff.

That raises the question of how the event is financed. The Pennridge Music Association, or PMA, is a volunteer organization made up mostly of parents of students (current and former) in the music programs. “They’re our fundraising group,” said Mr. Feher. “They help make sure we have opportunities like hosting a marching event or a jazz event”. He also says that the profit from the previous year’s events determines the extent to which Pennridge can host in a given year. The PMA is crucial to Pennridge’s ability to host events, for that it is the primary means of covering the expenses.

As the event approaches, students are asked to donate food or drink to concessions to alleviate the expenses. However, the role of students in planning the event does not go far beyond that. Students are assigned roles to help the event run smoothly throughout the night. Some work at concessions and raffle ticket booths and the like, while others help guest directors and performing students find their way around, and yet others help guest bands move their equipment behind stage. Various other roles are filled throughout the night as they need to be.

There is a lot of planning that has to go into an event of this size, and it can be stressful for those who spearhead it. But in the words of Mr. Feher, “Any time you get to put students with other students making music, it’s a worthwhile experience.