What is the Paris Climate Agreement and how does it impact the U.S.?

Brendan Bauer, Student Writer

Recently, President Biden rejoined the U.S. in the Paris Climate Agreement as part of his comprehensive climate action plan. This is after former President Trump removed the U.S. from the agreement in 2017. So what is the Paris Climate Agreement and what impact does it have on the U.S.?

The Paris Climate Agreement is a legally binding international treaty on climate change. It was adopted by 196 different countries and came into effect in late 2016. The goal? To limit global warming to two degrees Celsius, about 3.5 degrees Fahrenheit. 

This will be done by limiting emissions and achieving carbon neutrality. This means net zero carbon emissions, by removing as much carbon dioxide emission as is produced. The aim is to reach this by mid-century.

To finance all of the technology needed, the agreement encourages financial assistance to countries who are unable to make large investments. The agreement is an investment in that money going into reducing emissions is money that might not have to go towards adaptation, such as levees, due to the warming climate and rising sea levels. The whole agreement is a feedback loop. The effects of reduced emissions compound over years and the better countries do, the more positive impacts are felt worldwide, not just domestically.

Former President Trump’s reasoning for leaving the agreement in 2017 was that it would “undermine” the economy and put the U.S. “at a permanent disadvantage.” However, the removal from the agreement did not become official until November 2020 and negative impacts to emissions have been limited because of this. As one of his first acts as president, Biden re-joined the agreement, part of an act that will get the U.S. more involved internationally, including climate agreements. 

Overall public opinion is for agreement participation. According to a study done by Yale including over 1,000 voters, among all voter categories the majority of people are in favor of participation, with an overall approval of 69 percent, and an overall disapproval of participation of 13 percent. 

Beccy Mosheyev and Izzy Leopold of the Lady Patriots Ice Hockey Team join the overwhelming majority of supporters. Mosheyev cited that “I think it was a bad decision to leave [The Agreement] in the first place. It is a global effort and the U.S. leaving it just doesn’t make us look good.” Leopold agreed, adding that “I think it is really important to stop the climate problem. We are already feeling some effects today and who knows how bad it might be down the line”.

Aligning with re-joining the agreement, President Biden also has plans to replace the government’s vehicles with domestic made vehicles. Many different companies from Tesla to Ford have plans to invest in electric vehicle technology, whether it be research and development or new “gigafactories”. This just proves that renewable energy is expanding and isn’t going everywhere.