Is Studying Abroad Right For You?

Studying abroad is something that many young teenagers aspire to do one day.  Mrs. O’Brien, a teacher at Pennridge High school, studied abroad in Tanzania for three weeks for animal studies and described it as, “one of the best experiences I have ever had.”   Nearly 4.3 million students are enrolled in university-level education outside their home country.  Traveling to numerous countries and learning about their culture sounds amazing, right?  Having the opportunity to travel abroad does bring an individual many great opportunities that he/she will have for the rest of their life, but there are also downfalls to studying abroad that many people tend to overlook.  Many people want to study abroad for the reason of only wanting to travel when it entails much more. This article will explain what studying abroad is and list the pros and cons of studying abroad that will help allow you to make a decision on whether or not it is right for you.

What exactly is studying abroad and what does it entail?

Studying abroad is a chance for students to enroll in classes overseas through (mostly) university-led programs with other third-party programs, such as the Council on International Education Exchange and IES abroad.  These University-led programs will make agreements with institutions abroad where the students can enroll or have their own study-abroad centers in the country, while sometimes giving students the flexibility of scheduling their courses and arranging their own schedules. Usually, universities have their students, who are studying abroad, stay overseas for a semester or even a whole year.  While overseas, the programs provide students a chance to learn in a new setting while getting hands-on experience at educational sites and internships.

How much does studying abroad cost?

Whether you are majoring in biology or finances, the base pay for studying abroad runs the same for students in their universities.  After GoAbroad’s 2019 study, they found that the average price a student will pay when studying abroad is $14,295 per semester.  Also according to GoAbroad’s 2019 study, Australia was ranked the most expensive country to study abroad at, being around $21,000 per semester. Traveling abroad to China costs around $6,000 per semester, being the least expensive country to travel abroad to.  Europe is generally expensive to travel abroad to, being $15,797 per semester.  Asia is known for being the least expensive continent to travel abroad to, as they average $8,886 per semester.  There also are additional expenses to traveling, such as the excursions outside of your program, getting food/drinks from restaurants, or going shopping.  While studying abroad is something that seems very expensive on paper, there are ways to cut down the cost. Here are some ways to cut the cost:

1) Booking your flight in advance – Will give you the cheaper plane ticket prices.

2) Leaving your credit card at home – Usually, when you use your credit card outside of the United States, there is a foreign exchange fee that ranges from 1%-3& of every purchase made using your credit card.

3) Apply for funding – There are scholarships that are handed out for study abroad programs that are both government and university-funded that can help you save money,

Should I study abroad?

The decision of studying abroad is entirely up to you, as it is very important to do your research about the country you wish to study in and if it is right for you and your education.  Even though this may be a popular thing amongst young students, this should be a personal decision, as studying abroad is very expensive and has many details that can be overlooked. Studying abroad is designed to give students a fantastic opportunity to travel the world and see new cultures.  Pennridge High School student, Kiersten Moyer, has always aspired to travel abroad when she goes to college and has aspirations of traveling to South America one day.  “I just want to see life in a new perspective and see the world,” Moyer said.  Different universities offer different programs that have different benefits, which if studying abroad is a priority of yours, it is important to explore and research your options at your desired university.  In all, remember that studying abroad can bring fantastic opportunities to you, but it is crucial to do your research before deciding whether or not studying abroad is the right decision for you.