Attend the Naval Academy

Sean Yoder, Staff Writer

As a senior in high school, it can be extremely difficult to know what you want to do in the future.  Deciding on a school can be one of the harder decisions you make as a teenager, but one stands out from the rest.  Attending the Naval Academy could possibly be one of the best decisions you make in your life.  When most college kids are stressing about finding a job once they graduate, all midshipmen have a well paid job in the military for at least five years.  Although life at the academy is not going to be your normal college experience, it will guarantee a future.  Upon graduation you are defending the country usually on a ship.  There are several different routes you can take which includes being a pilot, marine, warfare officer, or even navy seals.  The opportunities, people you meet and come in contact with on a daily basis are endless.  If you are one with aspirations to travel and see the world, the Naval Academy could be the place for you.  Of course there are some negatives to attending the Naval Academy as there is any other school.  Participating in basic training the summer before your freshman year, attending all classes and waking up early, and getting yelled at by higher military officials on a daily basis.  But the reward is much greater than the risk.  Many share the same mindset about The Naval Academy; “It is not a 4 year decision, but a 40 year decision.”  The connections and opportunities are so unique, and gives kids a chance to have a different job serving our country upon graduation.  The Naval Academy is not for everyone, but sure is rewarding.