How To Look Fashionable On A Budget

Melissa Wilms, Student Writer

If you had $100 a month to spend on clothes, are you the person who would want ten $10 tops from Target or one lovely sweater from Neiman Marcus? Being a fashionable dresser doesn’t necessarily mean that one has to spend a lot of money. It just takes time and making significant decisions. Here are some steps to help you have a budget while shopping.

1. Figure out what type of look you want, lavished or economical. Do you like basic/casual, comfy, or sophisticated?
  2. Review what you have in your wardrobe. Do you have 100 T-Shirts, but no date worthy clothes? What about shoes? Are they all sandals? If so, you probably don’t need any more. Try and shop for a variety of clothing that still fits your wants. You wouldn’t want to shop for the same thing over and over again then realize that you don’t have a nice pair of jeans, so you have to go out and spend more money on those jeans.
  3. Shop the classics. Look for the clothes that you like to wear and what makes you feel flattering. For women, a classic might be the little black dress for an evening event with some statement earrings. For men, their classic might be a nice fitting pant and a no-wrinkle shirt.
  4. Buy fewer things, buy clothes that you could use with other clothes that you have or are buying at the moment. If you get 20 tops that will go with 10 pants, 5 shorts, and 2 skirts that gives you 340 outfits.
  5. Find out when sales are going on. Black Friday, end of the season sales, etc.
  6. Go to stores that are hit or miss, like Marshalls or Ross. People have a greater chance of finding something they like because the inventory is always changing. Plus, you’ll save more money.
  7. Focus on your needs and wants.
  8. Use coupons or sign up for rewards in store so you can earn coupons

These tips will help you manage how much clothing you need and what to buy.  Just remember, your true value doesn’t come from your amazing new jeans or stunning necklace, it comes from who you are!