Ski and Board Club Trip to Tahoe

March 1, 2019

In Pennsylvania, there are only so many places to do winter sports. The state’s unpredictable weather doesn’t make it an ideal location. Despite this, Pennridge High School has a large Ski and Board Club. Weather permitting, about 200 students in the club go to a ski resort once a week. Ski resorts they frequently visit are Blue Mountain Resort in Carbon County, Pa. and Killington Ski Resort in Killington, Vt. The club also has a bigger trip out west once a year. The location for this exciting trip changes every year.

This year, a group of about 25 students and five teachers took a trip to Squaw Valley Resort in Tahoe, CA. Right after they landed, they experienced some issues with the difference in weather conditions. A large snowstorm caused major roads to be closed, including the main road to Lake Tahoe from Sacramento: Interstate 80. After waiting it out and a quick trip to Walmart for food, the group was able to get to their house. The next day, Squaw Valley Resort was closed, so they spent that day at another local resort in Truckee, CA.: Sugar Bowl Resort.

Despite some difficulties, everyone seemed to enjoy their time in Tahoe. Nick Spano, one of the students who attended, said that “It is indescribable compared to Pocono Mountains and even Killington, Vermont”. Although students and teachers both took breath-taking photos and videos while on the mountain, Nick says that “[they] do not do it justice”. He also said everyone enjoyed the “killer house” that they spent four nights in.

Although this trip was more expensive than the average weekly club trip, people on the trip agree that it was worth their money. Hannah Cressman, another student on the trip, says that “there is a big difference between east and west coast skiing and snowboarding”. Having the chance to be able to travel with friends who share the same hobby really creates a close-knit relationship among the Pennridge club members. Nothing compares to the authentic, fresh Californian powder.

Photo of student skiing down a mountain, taken by Hannah Cressman.

The Penndulum • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

Any comment containing hate speech, terroristic threats, or vulgar language will be deleted from this post. Please comment appropriately.
All The Penndulum Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *