Girls Lacrosse Team: In Like a Lion

Victoria Paterson, Student Writer

Spring sports at Pennridge High School were scheduled to start Monday, March 5.  Due to the inclement weather, Pennridge High School was closed on Monday, delaying the start to the new season. Nevertheless, one team, in particular, is seeking to make a comeback stronger than ever. The girls lacrosse team looks to start the season strong with competitive senior players and starting lineup. Coach Ms. Schnurr is optimistic that the team will make a fierce comeback despite any setbacks they might have faced in the last season. The girls lacrosse team wasn’t able to make it to playoffs last year, but with a positive mindset and all of the hard work the team has been putting in at practices, they are hoping to achieve that goal this year. The girls have been practicing and working out together since July. They will be putting their new skills and drills to the test with an exciting season of playing other competitive teams. In particular, Coach Schnurr is hoping to win against Central Bucks East High School, who supposedly have three especially powerful players and overall a strong team. She is also hoping for redemption on Pope John Paul II High School because the girls had lost to them last year. When asked what Coach Schnurr is most excited for this season, she responded, “I am most looking forward to giving the players the opportunity to prove themselves like last season, and for the players that got injured to come back stronger.”
The team would not be complete without a strong goalie. Luckily, the girls have senior Alexa Machado who is eager for the oncoming season. She said, “I’m most looking forward to playing with the other seniors because I have been playing with them since 6th grade. It’s going to be sad, but also fun to play with them for one final season.”  Alexa will be continuing her athletic and academic career at Ursinus College next year. Another senior, midfielder Jenna Lund, is committed to play at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. To continue a sport in college takes motivation and persistence which starts in high school. Jenna, Alexa, and the other senior players have been practicing on their own time to prepare and finish their high school career strong. Despite being a little nervous, Alexa says she is counting down the days until she can take the field with her teammates.
The girls’ first game is March 13, against Lansdale Catholic.  The team is confident going into this game as they have won against them before. This matchup has the potential to be a great kickoff to the season if the girls can work together to obtain the win. The players agree if they play as a whole team, rather than as individuals, then they will be unstoppable. Additionally, with nine seniors on the team, the girls will need the support of the student body on May 8 for their home senior night against Central Bucks South High School. The best of luck goes out to all Pennridge spring sports teams, and we hope to see you out cheering on your fellow classmates!