All-Star Cheerleading is a Sport

Paige Wilkinson, Student Writer

“An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment,” (Google Dictionary). This is the very definition of a sport. All-Star Cheerleading fits every description provided in that definition without question. 

All-Star Cheerleading is a highly competitive sport in which athletes travel the country vying for national championship titles. The sport has been around since the year 1980, and has continued to grow and develop. Cheerleading, like many other sports, is a pathway to scholarships for college, carriers, and networking. The sport itself is regulated by the U.S. All Star Federation, who control the safety and rules that All-Star Cheerleading teams must follow. This sport is extremely global, reaching various parts of the globe such as Argentina, China, South Africa, Spain, Puerto Rico, and even more.

Many argue that cheerleading is not a sport based on the notion that a cheerleaders only job is simply yell on the sidelines for an associated sports team. Another opposing argument that is often a topic of conversation is the fact that, while cheerleaders may make contact within their own team, they never make contact with the opposing team. There are many arguments made against cheerleading being a sport, some being that cheerleading is judged instead of being based off of a point system, the sport does not appear in the Olympics, and, the most hurtful, that cheerleading simply does not require skill or talent. All of these arguments would be deemed wrong by any person after doing research or considering the facts. 

Commonly, in a sport, physical exertion is required. Cheerleading closely resembles acrobatics or gymnastics, both of which are recognized as sports. Most of the physical exercise comes from what are called routines, which are two and a half minutes and are practiced and trained for competitions. These routines mix endurance with skill in a wide range of activities like jumping, tumbling, stunting, dancing, etc. It is critical that these be trained for and performed properly, as safety is of the utmost concern. Kyle Pfaff, a USASF certified cheerleading coach, stated, “The use of stunts, tumbling endurance, and discipline to perform physically and mentally are reasons that define competitive cheerleading as a sport,” (Kyle Pfaff, Easton PA). Cheerleading has one of the highest rates of injury, explained in a Journal of Pediatrics that stated that cheerleading is the most dangerous female sport because there is a high risk of head injuries, such as concussions. Cheerleading is regulated by the U.S. All Star Federation, and is based on a 100 point system. In conclusion, All-Star Cheerleading fits every description of a sport forward and backwards, and should be recognized as one as well.