The Single Person’s Guide to Valentine’s Day

Jake Horan, Student Writer

Valentine’s Day can be depressing if you’re single, but it doesn’t have to be a sad day if you do it right. A single person’s Valentine’s Day can be just as fun as a couple’s. We’re here to help you have an enjoyable day with some of our favorite singles activities for Valentine’s Day.

1. Treat Yourself

Treating yourself can really be anything that you want as long as you feel like you’re spoiling yourself. We would recommend getting a massage. Hand and Stone in Montgomeryville, Pennridge Wellness Center in Perkasie, or Oasis Nails and Day Spa in Perkasie are all good choices with massages ranging from $60 dollars for a one-hour treatment and $80 dollars for a one-hour hot stone treatment. If that sounds too pricey then consider getting your nails done instead. Oasis Nails and Day spa in Perkasie, Anna Nails in Perkasie across from school, and Kim Nails in Souderton are our top picks with manicures and pedicures that won’t break the bank, starting around $20 dollars. Another great way to treat yourself is to get your hair done. If you’re looking for a change in your style then Main Street Salon in Silverdale, Dragonflies Salon in Perkasie, and Bliss Salon and Color Studio in Perkasie are all local, well reviewed salons ready to make your Valentine’s Day better. Our final way to treat yourself this Valentine’s Day is to go shopping. It might be time to refresh your wardrobe and prepare for spring. Right now, stores like American Eagle and Hollister have great deals on things like jeans and joggers as well as a wide variety of leftover winter collection clothes on clearance. If none of these appeal to you, or you’re on a budget, Penn State junior, Maddie Pennie says, “If I would do anything I would most likely just buy some chocolate.”

1. Throw a Singles Party

If you’ve got single friends then why not throw a party on Valentine’s Day with just them? This doesn’t have to be complex. It can really be as simple as just sitting around playing games with your friends. If you wanted to, you could probably convince everyone to get dressed up and go out to dinner if you’re looking for something more extravagant.  

1. Rent a Movie and Get Pizza with Friends

If you don’t feel like going out on Valentine’s day, then one of the best things you can do is to stay home and relax. Invite a couple of close friends over, rent a favorite movie or stream a new show together, and get a pizza. From February 10th-16th Papa John’s is running a special for an $11 dollar heart-shaped pizza with the code VALENTINE and or $16 dollars for a heart-shaped pizza and a tray of brownies with the code BEMINE.

1. Go to Brunch With Friends

Another great way to connect with friends is to set up a brunch at a local cafe or restaurant and just eat, talk, and spend time together. You could even plan to bring a small gift, chocolates, or a card for each member of your party. A few good, local brunch spots are Cafe at the Mill, Sellersville, The Hattery Stove & Still, Doylestown, and C&C Cafe, Perkasie. All these places are reasonably priced and should be able to accomodate large groups, however it might be helpful to call ahead or try and make a reservation beforehand.

1. Take a Parent Out to Dinner

One Final Valentine’s Day activity would be to take a parent out to dinner. This can be a great opportunity to reconnect with the people you hold closest and just talk and catch up, especially if you don’t get to spend quality time together often. Another great reason to take a parent out is that our area has a plethora of great local restaurants such as The Perk in Perkasie, JT Bankers in Sellersville, and Lubertos in Dublin. If you’re looking for a more upscale dining experience, then Maize in Perkasie, Ooka in Montgomeryville, Arielle’s Country Inn in Sellersville, and The Washington House in Sellersville would all be elegant options at slightly higher prices.

The most important thing to remember on Valentine’s Day is to do whatever will bring you joy, even if that means doing nothing. As senior Emma Hawking put it “It’s important to learn how to appreciate time you spend alone.” Spending time alone, away from people might just be the most relaxing thing a person can do on Valentine’s Day, especially if you’re already someone who likes spending time alone. According to Maddie Pennie, “Single people could use the day as an excuse to relax.”