Pennridge Men’s Volleyball Hopes for the Upcoming Season

Brian Towsey, Student Writer

One month away from tryouts, Pennridge Men’s Volleyball is working extremely hard to prepare for the upcoming season. The team is looking to bounce back from an up and down season and return to the dominance their program is accustomed to. The Rams finished with a 6-8 conference record last year, barely earning the last spot in the district playoffs. In 2018 the Rams finished with an impressive record of 14-2, good enough for 3rd in District One. Despite the huge difference in record and seeding, both teams performed exactly the same in playoffs, making it to the District semifinals and eventually losing in the 3rd place game. 

The team missed states both years, something the team accomplished in each of the previous nine seasons.  Both the players and the coaches expect to get back to the high-level of play and return to states for the first time since 2017. When asked about the upcoming season, head coach Dave Childs stated, “we should be better than last season.” He continued to say that the team is a competitive group and can compete with the top teams in the district if they continue to work hard. The team knows the effort level it needs to get into states and is working to improve its chances.

The players typically practice several times a week and play on the same club team in order to improve their chemistry. Last year’s chaotic season is not something the players want to repeat, especially the seniors who are entering their final season. When asked about the player’s effort this year, senior middle blocker Pat Mehlbaum stated, “Our work ethic is bolstered by the fact that we have known each other for so long. Our team chemistry is strong.” The varsity players work well together and motivate one another to improve.

Among the seniors, a player to watch out for is opposite Chris Mckinney. He is a three-year starter and is expected to step up and be a key leader for the team’s 2020 campaign. His combination of experience and talent are a huge boost for a team which has lacked an identity over the last two seasons. Another player to watch out for is Ryan Benscooter, a 6’4” junior outside and a three-year varsity starter.  Benscooter expected to make a jump this year and be one of the biggest contributors to the team’s success. 

While the varsity players are working hard to prepare for the upcoming season, the JV team is gaining a new head coach.  Their new coach should help boost the talent level of the incoming players before they join the varsity team. Brad Nase, a former All-State setter for the Rams, will be taking the job from Ian Kehs, now promoted to the position of varsity assistant. His experience and abilities are expected to boost the quality of play from the JV players and allow for better talent to move up through the program.  Overall, the future looks bright for the Pennridge Men’s Volleyball program.