Why Giant Clams are Important to Our Ecosystem

Liliana Gonzalez, Student Writer

Why take the time to save a species of giant clam? There are plenty of clams in the ocean, right? While it is true that the common ocean clam is in no danger of going extinct anytime soon, Giant Clams play a very important role in our marine ecosystems. In coral reefs around the world, the number of Giant Clams continually decreases even though they’re protected from harvest under international law. Illegal harvesting of Giant Clams for the shell and meat continues and toxic conditions from pollution make it difficult for the Giant Clams, along with many other ocean creatures, to live. These losses can have an unknown effect on the ecosystem because little research is carried out involving these clams, but some researchers know what benefits the Giant Clams have for coral reefs. 

Giant Clams provide food and shelter for smaller organisms and slow the process of eutrophication through their process of water filtering. Eutrophication is the over-fertilization of water caused by the runoff of fertilizers from farmland, this causes algal blooms and an increase in plant life. While this may sound like a good thing, too many plants deplete the water of oxygen suffocating fish creating what are known as dead zones.

Aside from the biological benefits of the Giant Clam, they have topographical benefits as well. Rooted in the soft limestone of the coral reef beds, clam stocks hold together the stone, creating a framework on which the coral reef can grow on when the clam dies. Giant Clams literally hold together coral reefs which is why it’s important to pay attention to even the simplest creatures.