Life After High School

Emma Craig, Student Writer

The countdown to graduation continues as the school year progresses. With the end of the year quickly approaching, some Pennridge High School seniors are still awaiting college acceptances, while others have committed and are looking forward to all the new opportunities that are in store for them after graduation. Senior, Maddie Trautner is excited to be attending Eastern University to study nursing. When asked about what she is most looking forward to next year, Maddie replied, “Being on my own, having independence, and meeting new people”. However, Trautner did add that having structure in high school is what she will miss the most. Abby Ludlow, another senior, is still deciding between two schools, but will most likely be attending the University of Delaware. Ludlow reflects on the application process, stating “I didn’t face any difficulties, I thought it was a pretty easy process.”  Although applying for colleges went smoothly for Ludlow, the best advice she can give to students entering the college admissions process is to avoid procrastinating on the application; Ludlow emphasized, “Do it really early and do not wait until the last minute.” After spending four years at Pennridge, Ludlow admits that she’ll miss the easy classes, her friends, and the overall atmosphere in high school, but is anticipating the independence and freedom for next year. 

Former Pennridge High School graduate, Austin Roland is a finance major at Temple University. Austin chose to attend Bucks Community College for two years before transferring to Temple for another two years. “It was cost efficient, I wasn’t sure what was out there, and I thought Bucks would open up options,” Roland explained. Overall, Roland notes that he was happy with the decision he made as he liked both colleges he went to and he didn’t have to change his major, like most college students do. When asked if there were any regrets, Roland replied, “Not attending Temple all four years because it would’ve been a better college experience and would have helped me grow more as an individual.” Roland also wished he had reached out to more clubs and extracurriculars in college as he entered Temple as a junior where most people already established their groups of friends, so it took a while for Roland to fit into a group and gain connections. However, there are some things that Roland wished he knew about college before starting. “Naps are important, classes are different as they are less interactive. I wish someone would have warned me about how different the class structure is, but there’s also way more freedom, even being a commuter,” Roland explained. For students either applying or getting ready to attend college, Roland emphasizes the importance of getting involved, stating, “Don’t just be the person that goes to class and leaves without talking to anyone.” Austin Roland will be graduating from Temple University in May and highlights how college has made him more confident in public speaking and more informed about the “ins and outs of the corporate world.” In five years Roland hopes to find himself pursuing business along with always trying to move up the chain of command in a job.