How to Survive Wisdom Teeth Surgery

Lauren Hanusey, Student Writer

Getting your wisdom teeth out is an experience that many teens and young adults endure during their lifetime. The actual surgery itself is quite simple because most people are put to sleep with anesthesia.  Perhaps the most difficult portion of the ordeal is the post-op care. As someone that just got their wisdom teeth removed, I am here to give you some tips and advice on how to survive the week following your surgery. 

You have to prepare to rest a lot.  You will be down for the count for at least five days.  Also, don’t be surprised if your face is extremely swollen following surgery. Do not fret,  it will go down over time. Make sure to ice your face frequently to help reduce the swelling. A heat compress will also work. Some people swell worse than others,  but regardless you should use those hot and cold compresses because they help with the pain. In addition to swelling, it’s very common to have facial bruising once the swelling diminishes.  Applying ice will help this and the bruising will fade over time. You may be wondering “Is it possible to eat after surgery?” Yes, it is. However, you will not be able to chew food for a few days so it’s important to stock up on soft foods ahead of time. I personally loved milkshakes and pudding. Don’t forget that you should not use a straw following your surgery because that could cause dry socket, which is a painful infection.  Ouch!

Your doctor is the expert so listen to him or her and make sure that you take all of your prescribed medications to help speed up your recovery and prevent any future issues. You can take ibuprofen every 4-6 hours to help with the pain and inflammation. Some patients may even require heavier pain medications. The doctor may give you a mouth rinse which helps to make sure that everything is clean and free of debris. It’s also a good idea to rinse with warm salt water to clear the open sockets of any food particles. As someone who just went through this process, it is painful but you will feel better in no time. Just rest as long as possible and binge Netflix all day long! There is an old myth that states you will become infinitely wiser after your wisdom teeth are removed so maybe there is an actual advantage to this unfavorable procedure.