Top Concerts to Attend This Summer

Julianna Casey, Student Writer

One of the most fun things to do in the summer is to go out and see your favorite performing artist. Living so close to Philadelphia, it isn’t hard to find an artist holding a concert on any given summer night. Between the Wells Fargo Center, Citizens Bank Park, and Lincoln Financial Field in South Philly, BB&T Pavilion in Camden, and the Fillmore in Center City, there are plenty of venue options for artists to hold concerts. According to Pennridge student, Camryn Romeo, “People go to concerts to put a face to the music they have been listening to”. Mrs. Goodrich, a teacher at Pennridge who goes to countless concerts recounts her experiences, saying, “I am always dancing and singing along; I’m always hoarse by the end of the concert.” Whether you love rock, country, or pop, there will definitely be something to fit your taste this summer.

Festivals 

One of the most popular music festivals to ever come to Philadelphia is returning this summer. Made in America will be held on Labor Day weekend (September 5th & 6th) on the Ben Franklin Parkway right in the middle of the city. Made in America was started in 2012 by rapper Jay-Z and often features many rap artists and pop singers. Some past headliners have been Beyonce, Travis Scott, and Kendrick Lamar. Pennridge student, Madison Diamente says Made in America has, “Lots of high school kids, not much downtime, and lots of fun energy. There is always a concert going on, so you’re never bored.” She also recommends “… going if you are okay with being around a lot of people all the time. It is an unbelievably fun experience.” Although the lineup hasn’t been announced yet and pricing has yet to be announced, Made in America is an event that you do not want to miss! 

Another music festival coming to our area this summer is the Barefoot Country Music Festival. It will be held in Wildwood, NJ right on the beach and will showcase 30+ country singers. It is a three day festival from Friday, June 19 to Sunday, June 21. Officials haven’t announced the whole lineup, but a few artists have been announced are Blake Shelton, Carrie Underwood, Dan + Shay, and Billy Currington. Three-day general admission passes for this event are currently on sale for $179. This pass will grant you admission to the festival for all 3 days, where you can see any artist you would like. However, it is general admission, so you have to make sure you get to the stage of your favorite artist early to get a spot up close.

Country 

Our number one pick for country concerts this summer is Zac Brown Band. They will be coming to BB&T Pavilion in Camden, NJ on June 19th. Tickets start at $42. Zac Brown Band was founded in Atlanta, GA in 2000 and have produced 7 albums since their founding. Some popular songs by ZBB are Chicken Fried, Toes, Knee Deep, and Colder Weather. Zac Brown band mixes modern country and old- school folk to make happy, upbeat songs. If you’re a new fan of country music, this is a great band to go see!

The second country concert we recommend this summer is Kenny Chesney. He will be performing at the Lincoln Financial Field on June 6. This show is a bit more pricey with tickets starting at $200. Kenny Chesney started making music in 1994 and has created 20 albums in his career. Some notable songs by Chesney are American Kids, All The Pretty Girls, Get Along, and She Thinks My Tractor’s Sexy (my personal favorite). Kenny Chesney is a classic country singer who is guaranteed to put on a great show.

Pop

The pop king of today, Justin Beiber, is coming to Lincoln Financial Field on August 1. With ticket prices starting at $49.50, this is a show you do not want to miss. What could be greater than seeing your childhood star perform in your own hometown? JB was “discovered” at 13 years old by a talent agent from singing videos posted on YouTube. Since then, he has grown immensely, gaining fans from all over the world. Some of his top songs are Love Yourself, Baby, and What Do You Mean?

The second pop concert we want to showcase is the AJR & Quinn XCII show at BB&T Pavilion on July 28th. AJR is a band of three brothers from Manhattan. Adam, Jack, and Ryan Met began making music in their living room in 2005. Some of their top songs are I’m Ready, Weak, and 100 Bad Days. AJR writes, records and produces their own music. They are headlining with Quinn XCII (pronounced Quinn 92) on their tour this summer. Quinn XCII, a.k.a  Mikael Temrowski, is a singer from Detroit who started making music in 2011. Some of his popular songs include Native Tongue, Straightjacket, and FFYL. Both artists create upbeat and radiant music that is sure to get you dancing. Ticket prices are super low, they start at only $29.50. This is going to be a great show to attend, even if you do not know the artists. Along with AJR and Quinn XCII, singers Hobo Johnson and Ashe will be performing as well.

Alternative 

Our first pick for alternative concerts is The Lumineers. They will be playing at BB&T Pavilion in Camden on June 5th. The Lumineers are a band from Denver that has produced 3 albums, all of which are certified platinum. Members Wesley Schultz (lead vocals) and Jeramiah Fraites (percussion) produce a unique sound that is unmatched by any artist out there today. Some of their most popular songs are Ho Hey, Ophelia, Stubborn Love, and Cleopatra. Tickets are on sale now for as low as $35. Their shows frequently sell out around the world, so this is something you do not want to miss.

The second must-see alternative show of the summer is the Radio 104.5 Birthday Celebration at BB&T Pavilion in Camden. This is an annual concert held for the founding of radio 104.5. It started in 2011 and has continued to make an appearance every year after that. It will feature 11 artists including The 1975, AWOLNATION, Kaleo, and many more. This is almost a full day event and tickets are on sale for as low as $20. This is a must-see event at a crazy low price.

Rap

First up, we have up and coming rap superstar, Russ. Russ (Russel Vitale) is an artist from Atlanta who writes, records, and produces his own music. Since 2007, he has recorded 14 albums, 3 of them with Columbia Records and the remaining 11 with Diemon Studio Albums, his own record company. His 2017 album, There’s Really A Wolf, went platinum. He is known for singles What They Want and Losing Control, which both made it to the US Billboard Hot 100. He is playing at The Met Philadelphia on June 10th with ticket prices starting at $39.50. You won’t regret going to see this revolutionary rapper.

Rock

Alanis Morisette will be playing at BB&T Pavilion on June 28th. Morisette is a Canadian-American singer who started her career in the early 1990s. She has released over 10 albums. She has also made several appearances as an actress, starring in several plays and the movie Radio Free Albemuth along with several other TV shows. Her top songs are Ironic, Hand in My Pocket, and You Oughta Know.  Ticket prices start at $38.25.

Finally, we have Guns N Roses. They will be at Citizens Bank Park on July 8th with ticket prices starting at $59.50. Guns N Roses is a rock band from California. They have created 6 albums and in 1987, their first album Appetite for Destruction reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. Some popular songs include Sweet Child O’ Mine, Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, and You Could Be Mine. Members Axl Rose, Duff McKagan, Slash, Dizzy Reed, Richard Fortus, Frank Ferrer and Melissa Reese create a unique, unprecedented sound that you do not want to miss!