Everything You Need to Know About Irish Potatoes

Madison Banks, Student Writer

As we reach Saint Patrick’s Day, the conversation arose of traditions certain families have for the holiday, specifically regarding food. While most know of the traditional corned beef, cabbage, and shepherd’s pie, the staff at the Penndulum was shocked to find out that many don’t know what Irish potatoes are. After more questioning around the school and research, we discovered that the sweet coconut-cream-cheese dessert may only be a St Paddy’s Day staple in some homes in the Philadelphia area.

Despite the name, the delicacy was not created in Ireland, nor is it even common in the country. The name comes from the potato-like appearance, as it is white on the inside with a brown cinnamon covering. It was invented in the late 19th century in Philadelphia, likely by accident with scraps of coconut filling in a candy shop. There is a great debate as to whether it was created by an Irish immigrant or not, as there was a large boom in the Irish American population at that time due to the Potato Famine in Ireland. Despite the unknown origin, many Philadelphians have made Irish potatoes a tasty St. Paddy’s day tradition. To share it with the Pennridge community, we decided to make them and bring them to school. Ellie Borghi, Pennridge senior, who had never had the treat before, said that she “never had cinnamon and coconut together before, and really liked the combination.” If you find yourself wanting to try them out also, we’ve included a recipe and tips for this simple, quick, dessert that is sure to become a holiday staple.

Ingredients:

• ½ stick of butter
  • ½ package of cream cheese
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 4 cups of confectioner’s sugar
  • 2 ½ cups of sweetened coconut
  • 2 tablespoons of cinnamon

Directions:

1. Soften your butter and cream cheese.
  2. Beat butter and cream cheese together, while slowly adding confectioner’s sugar.
  3. Add vanilla to mixture.
  4. Add coconut and mix until fully combined.
  5. Roll the mixture into a ball. Each ball should be about an inch wide.
  6. Have a separate bowl for the cinnamon and roll each ball in the spice until they are fully coated. 
  7. Enjoy!

Tips from Pennridge Staff and Students:

• According to Mrs. Nace, a food-prep teacher at Pennridge, to avoid stickiness, “let the mixture cool in the refrigerator before rolling it in the cinnamon.” She also recommends rolling the coconut mixture in chocolate if you don’t like the cinnamon flavor. 
  • Add a few drops of green food dye to the batch for a festive twist.
  • Keep them refrigerated after they’re made to keep them from getting too runny.
  • They can be stored all together, or served in cupcake liners.