The Importance of Learning a Language

Grace Rabago, Student Writer

There are many uses and advantages of knowing more than one foreign language. So why do so few Americans speak foreign languages as opposed to those in other countries?

Only around 26 percent of Americans are bilingual compared to the 56 percent average in the world. 

Benefits of learning a foreign language are that it improves brain power, memory, enhances multitasking skills, and decision making. Knowing many languages can make many applications stand out from the rest. Languages also connect cultures and allow you to meet new people and learn more about different cultures around the world.

Learning a new language can be hard. Some argue that it is too difficult or costly to learn a new language. If difficulty is an issue maybe learning a language is just not for you. If cost is an issue there are many cheap alternative ways to learn a language such as free apps like Duolingo or though school.

In many countries, it is more common to start learning a language or many languages at a young age. In places such as Germany, many children begin taking language classes in elementary classes or younger and there is a greater emphasis on knowing more than one language. 

A German exchange student, Leni Zenk, attended school at Pennridge for three weeks last year. She started learning English ten years ago, French eleven, and Spanish thirteen and is fluent in all three. When asked about the importance of knowing languages Zenk commented “you can basically learn so much more about the culture and about the people if you just communicate with them.” 

The benefits of learning a new language outweigh the cons. Overall, learning languages in the US should have a greater importance and should be taught early on.