Technology: Is it interfering in our relationships?

Samantha Morris, Student Writer

Technology is squeezing its way into your in-person relationships. Have you ever been in a situation where you or the person you were with has looked at their phones or some form of technology at a time where you should’ve been connecting? Most people would say yes, whether it’s at the dinner table, getting distracted by the TV, checking notifications while in the middle of a face-to-face conversation, etc. Technology has become part of our everyday lives, and people use it as a way to fill space, but what they don’t realize is that while they are filling their time aimlessly scrolling through social media platforms, they are missing out on time to connect with others in real life. That’s why this is so important to acknowledge so that people do not lose their touch with humanity. 

Some may argue that technology is a great tool and can even improve communication. This can be true in certain situations, like the current pandemic the world is facing. In situations like this where you may not have the opportunity to speak to someone in person and connect with them face-to-face, video calls are the next best thing. Another way it could improve communication is through social media, where you get insight to others lives and communicate through those platforms. 

While that all may be true, I found that in a survey conducted in 2015 that out of 143 women, 70% said that technology has interfered in their relationships. So rather than scrolling through Instagram, put your phone down and engage with the people around you, they are more important. Play a board game, take a walk with someone, go for a drive. There are many things you can do that don’t require you looking at a screen.