Pennridge High School’s Football team succeeds during unprecedented times

Stephanie Gredone, Student Writer

Given the unfortunate circumstances that Covid-19 has brought to our world today, the Pennridge High School’s Football Team pursued their ambition throughout their season and achieved great success. As Coach Branch and Coach Tatar explained that the season brought tough times, a brotherhood bloomed throughout their season. Their achievements for the 2020 season goes to show how hard these athletes and coaches worked, as their final record was seven wins and only one loss. Coach Branch, the strength and conditioning coach, has been brining the team victories since 2012. Coach Tatar, the offensive line and strength/conditioning coach, has been coaching at Pennridge for the past three years.

“We don’t put ourselves ahead of the game we’re facing,” explained Coach Branch as the victories were discussed. The coaches plan for every game as if it is their last, and their plays are well throughout out to be carried out efficiently. This season held more wins than previous seasons, and Coach Tatar believes this could be due to a difference in strategy that recently changed. The team reverted back to the old school in your face football and this tactic seems to have a great effect on their outcome of the season. Leadership was a huge theme seen in the seniors this year, as Coach Branch states that, “We weren’t the same team as last year, and I think a lot of teams overlooked this.” The leadership shown not only helped the team grow as a family, but it played a large role in individuals stepping up and giving it their all during the games. 

The team works tirelessly at practices throughout majority of the week to prepare for the games they will face. A typical game week starts out with a JV game on Monday, and the varsity team gathers to talk about the previous game and do some stretching and conditioning. Tuesdays and Wednesdays consists of long practices on the turf from 2:30 – 6:00 pm. On Thursday, it is a shortened practice because it is a walkthrough day, meaning the coaches discuss plays that will be fun for the next game. Finally, Friday is game day where the athletes showcase their hard work. 

Covid-19 has completely changed the overview of what a normal season would look like, but this did not stop the team from achieving all that they did. The coaches enforced all guidelines no matter if it was on the field or in the weight room. Some differences this year included the disinfecting of weights, machinery, bags, stations, and of course, washing hands frequently. Coach Tatar and Coach Branch had differing views on the impact of spectators at games. Tatar prefers having less spectators at games, as he enjoys the quiet and peace to enable focus and detailed movements. Wheras, Coach Branch stated that he, “wants the stadium rocking and rolling,” as it lifts emotions higher and amplifies the fun in the game. A specific game that Coach Tatar did feel a difference in was the Thanksgiving Quakertown vs Pennridge game, which he explained, “I don’t treat them like a rival, it’s a one sided rival because we’ve beat them the past three years.”

At the end of the day, Coach Tatar expressed that, “I care about them now, but I care about them more down the road.” The coaches do everything they possibly can to not only create a football team, but a family. Respect is a large expectation for this team, and Coach Tatar stated that the students, “Don’t have to be best friends with eachother, but you will respect eachother.” The players may have their differences, but they can all agree that this game is an escape from reality and a safe space to do what they love. Coach Branch values being a mentor and went on to explain that it is “Very rewarding seeing them be successful as a person and in their life, not to play college football, but to change their life for a little bit to make it better, I’ve done my job.” As some students such as Shane Hartzell and Jake Tarburton will continue on at Villanova and Clarion, others will hold this memory close to their hearts forever.