Pennridge Beats Pennsbury in Thriller

Joey Poust, Student Writer

Pennridge Boys Basketball beat Pennsbury by a score of 61-58 Tuesday night, improving a solid 9-5 record. Senior Colin Post led the team in scoring with an outstanding 21 point performance. Sophomore Matthew Campione emerged as a deadly shooter dropping 17 points while also going ⅚ from three. For Pennsbury, Aidan McCormack led the team with 18, and Evan McNeely followed with 16.  

Pennridge started the game off strong, leading 13-7 before Justin Nichols drained a corner three to put Pennridge up by nine with 2:16 left in the first. Pennsbury then went on an 8-0 run to finish the quarter after strong defensive stops. Luke Yoder took a very ugly fall that shocked those in attendance. Yoder’s resilience allowed him to get right back up and continue to play the game. 

Pennsbury continued their hard playing defense into the second quarter. Pennridge did not score until the 4:28 mark with an old fashion three-point play by Colin Monahan. Colin Post found Matthew Campione on the wing for an open three to start off Campione’s hot shooting. Pennridge’s next possession Campione dimed another corner three. With 1:28 remaining in the second, Campione returned the favor and found a cutting Colin Post for a layup. The Rams would take a 30-26 lead heading into half.

Pennridge and Pennsbury played the first half of the third quarter with great defense. Each side scored very little until the midway point. Pennridge was able to build an eleven point lead with 1:18 left before a three pointer by Evan McNeely which prompted an 8-2 run for the Redskins. The game would go into the fourth quarter with the Rams holding onto a five point lead. 

Pennridge held a small lead throughout the fourth. Petty fouls and good free throw shooting kept Pennsbury in the game. Colin Post scored a plethora of his points in the fourth with multiple close shots and clutch free throw shooting. Pennsbury was able to cut the lead to one point with 2:17 left in the game. Matthew Campione scored his last three pointers of the game with a 1:35 bringing the Rams to a six point lead. Pennsbury did not back down shooting back to back threes to bring the game to two points. Justin Nichols went 1-2 from the freethrow line and increased the lead to three. The redskins had twenty one seconds to tie the game. The Rams would clamp down and force Pennsbury’s Amir Johnson to take a deep contested three which would be off the mark. 

After the game senior Colin Monahan described the win as, “relieving” after the close back and forth game. “Matt played his best game tonight not just scoring the ball but passing too” Monahan said. Senior Aidan McCloskey said, “we put a lot of hard work in at practice day in and day out and we finally are hiding our stride”. 

Pennridge came into the game with a blowout win over Neshaminy on Saturday by a score of 69-46. The Rams played Holy Ghost Prep the following day winning another closely contested game 55-54. They will finish the week off against Harry Truman on Friday. Pennridge plays their final home game on March 2 against Bensalem which can be viewed on Pennridge TV.