The Rewatchability of TV Shows

Daniel Brouse, Student Writer

To rewatch, or not to rewatch? Many viewers have developed their own unique stance on this debate since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. Watching TV or streaming shows has been something that most people have turned to at least once during their time inside. The divide, however, arises between those who find comfort in watching media they have already seen, and those who believe that shows should only be viewed once. 

There is a fair amount of people who never indulge in rewatching even their favorite shows, stating that the thrill of watching a show can never be recaptured after that first time through. With the endless amount of different shows and movies out there, consuming content we’re familiar with can get in the way of discovering new treasures in the world of entertainment. Pennridge community member Jen Lange expresses similar sentiments, saying, “There are so many things out there that I want to see. There is no point in rewatching something I have already seen!” Lange said she only ever rewatches shows she thinks her children will enjoy, or comedy series, such as The Office, and Arrested Development

Similarly to Lange, many of those who do choose to rewatch TV find themselves opting for comedy. A survey that was sent out to the Pennridge community concerning how we rewatch, revealed that 40% of the 80 respondents prefer to go back and watch comedies or sitcoms. When asked why, the most common answer was that these types of shows are comforting to see again. Titles like FRIENDS, The Big Bang Theory and The Office are widely recognizable for their casts of memorable characters who many audiences have connected with. It is reassuring to know that those same faces and gags will always be there to make us laugh whenever we need something to turn to. 

There is a psychology behind the reason we flock to content we are so familiar with, especially with such an unusual global situation having taken over our everyday lives. According to research organized by Health24, “Anxiety and uncertainty can make us crave predictability.” Rewatching shows gives us a break from processing entirely new information and allows us to have that comfort that comes with predictability. Furthermore, it is also comforting to bond with friends over shows we have grown passionate about over the years. Pennridge Seniors Ashton Muhlig and Joey Harkins both enjoy inviting others to watch their favorite shows in hopes to continue the discussion about them.

No right or wrong opinion stands on the rewatch-ability of shows. Sometimes the past is best left in the past, but, other times, we can welcome the nostalgia of simpler times. The topic of rewatching, as well as binge watching, got its start before the pandemic. Because of this, the debate will likely continue long after the pandemic’s end when everyday life is back to normal again. No matter where the debate goes, there will always be someone who understands your stance. Take the opportunity to connect with others while the conversation continues, and you might just find new ways to pass the time.