Cookie Controversy

Cookie+Controversy

Megan Pole, Student Writer

Cookies are a classic dessert, no matter what flavor they are. This fan-favorite originated back in 7th century Persia, after the use of sugar became common in the area! Cookies were seen as a travel version of cakes, due to their portability. The Muslim conquest of Spain spread cookies to Europe, and by the 14th century, cookies became popularized. 

Most cookies have a few ingredients in common: milk, eggs, flour and sugar. Recipes can be changed and adjusted due to dietary restrictions and preferences, but the average cookie recipe includes those. 

Cookie preferences can be a heated topic. While interviewing Sara Casey, a Pennridge high school senior, she mentioned “Oatmeal raisin is 100 percent the worst kind! The oatmeal part is good and delicious, but the raisins ruin my mood, I always think they are chocolate chips”. Oatmeal raisin and white chocolate chip appear to be the most controversial cookie choice. 20.6 percent of surveyed high school seniors claimed oatmeal raisin as being the worst cookie, while 29.4 percent declared white chocolate chip to be the least favorite. 

An overwhelming 58.8 percent of surveyed Pennridge students announced chocolate chip to be their favorite cookie. A classic choice that never seems to fail! Peanut butter cookies, snickerdoodles and sugar cookies were other notable mentions on the list of choices. 

When asked about what factors make a cookie desirable, high school senior Morgan Maloney said, “A good cookie needs to be soft, but not too soft. A little crunchy, but not too crunchy and I prefer them to be warm,”. Most others agreed, saying a soft cookie was important. While making cookies, there are many factors to take into consideration. Texture is by far the most important. Without a good texture, the whole cookie is ruined. As a close second, flavor is also crucial to a good cookie. You can never lose with a classic chocolate chip cookie, but some bakers decided to get a little more experimental, trying flavors such as lemon or even squash. Overall, even though cookie preferences can get heated, there are all different flavors for everyone!