How the Holiday Season Changes as you Get Older

Tony Pena, Student Writer

Snow coats every surface in sight. Twinkling and sparkling lights line the borders of every house in the neighborhood. A giant tree lit so bright in the middle of the town. As the holiday season draws closer, so does the vibes that everyone else carries with them. Children are excited for Santa to come drop presents underneath the Christmas tree. But as most people know, Christmas changes as you get older.

An outstanding crowd witnesses the Perkasie Tree Lighting as it makes its return this year.

For some people, the holiday season isn’t all merry and bright. Josh Townson, a former Pennridge High School student had this to say about what Christmas has become for him. “Christmas isn’t what it used to be. As a kid, you didn’t really have to do much. You went to sleep Christmas Eve and woke up with presents under the tree. That was it. Now Christmas has become more of a chore than anything.” Townson, now being in college, has fallen on some financial hardships as most college students do. He says, “I am thousands of dollars in debt, but I still have to go out and buy family and friends Christmas gifts because it is that time of the year. Christmas is not as simple as it used to be.” When asked about what traditions his family has, he said, “I don’t have any special traditions. I typically just go hangout with family and friends.” Eating and reconnecting with family and friends bring a lot of joy especially this holiday season. Just one year ago, not many celebrations were going on due to the corona virus, so being with family and friends will be extra special this holiday season.

Although Josh had both his difficulties to share about the holidays, Ashley Miller, also a current college student, had a different opinion on the season of giving. She said, “I love when the winter season comes around. Everyone around me seems to be a whole lot happier.” When asked how she feels about gift giving around this time of year, she had this to say about it. “I actually enjoy giving gifts to others. My favorite is when you get to see their face as they open the gift you got them. As for the cost that comes around this time of year, it certainly burns a hole in my pocket, but I enjoy giving gifts.” The feeling that comes from giving gifts is one like no other. She also mentions how she goes and visits family during these times and although it can be a lot to handle, she enjoys every second of it.

For most, the holiday season brings this joy and excitement to people. Financial situations may play a role in how merry someone’s holidays may be, but there are certainly other ways to make it great. Although it may not be the same as it used to be when we were kids, the joy of the season can still be plentiful no matter what your age is.