Who Has the Best Pizza in Perkasie?

Riley Kodidek, Student Writer

The town of Perkasie, Pennsylvania, is filled with tons of places to grab a bite, but nothing tastes better than a good slice. So, I set out with my friend Tyler Johnson to figure out who has the best pizza around Perkasie. We stopped at three popular places around the area, this includes Local’s, Chiaro’s, and Perkasie Pizza & Pasta. And after a long day, we concluded on who serves the best pizza in town.

Our first stop was at Local’s Pizzeria Hilltown, where I ordered a slice of pepperoni and Tyler had a plain piece. Before we even ordered the first thing, we noticed was how open the place was. The door was held open, and it felt welcoming and comforting to customers. The pizza was pretty cheap and came at a price of $2.75, they had a great selection of other slices and a lot of spices to offer; they had the classic oregano and parmesan at every table. We then sat down in their nice dining area; we loved the furniture and the vibe it gave off. The best part was the pizza, of course, it was a very big slice, and was not too floppy. The crust had a nice charr to it, along with the crunchy bits from the bottom of the pizza. The cheese was tasteful and stringy, although the sauce was not there. The best thing about the pizza was the size of the pepperoni, which was surprisingly bigger than normal. Overall, we gave Local’s an eight out of ten.

Next, we drove over to Chiaro’s in Sellersville. Whereas last time I got a pepperoni and Tyler got a plain slice, having been to this place before, I was very excited to try out a different type of pizza. Sadly, it did not live up to my expectations. The pizza was extremely greasy and wasn’t appealing to begin with. The crust had a mediocre crunch and was burnt a bit. The pizza was also pricier at around $3.50-$4.00. The worst part was the cheese, it was so thin that taking the smallest bite ripped it right off the bottom. On the other hand, there were some good things about this place. Starting off with the size, it is much more open and there were a lot more seats in the restaurant. The place had nice festive decorations for the holidays, and there was outdoor seating. Overall, we gave Chiaro’s a five and a half out of ten.

Lastly, we drove to Perkasie Pizza & Pasta. This place was more of a dine-in pizza spot and offered more seating than the other restaurants. To start off the pizza was cheap at a price of $2.80. For the price of the slice, it turned out to be very good. The cheese was very stringy, the sauce had flavors that were bursting in my mouth. Perhaps the worst part about this place was the fact that they had no parmesan or oregano, which is almost essential to every pizza. Additionally, this was the smallest slice we had received all day. The crust was also very doughy and did not have much crunch or flavor to it, which was a bit of a letdown. Going back to what I had mentioned earlier the inside was nice and they had a television on the wall so you could watch your favorite sports team play. Overall, we gave Perkasie Pizza & Pasta a 7/10.

The inside of Local’s Pizzeria just outside of Perkasie, in Hilltown.

To get a grasp on what makes a pizza good I asked Tyler what the most important factors to a good slice are. “The first step is the dough; it has got to be crunchy or else the sauce and the cheese will just slide right off,” said Tyer. He had also mentioned, “The sauce is one of the most important parts, yes the cheese has some flavor but, the sauce has to taste good, or the rest of the pizza doesn’t”. Another important part about a pizza shop is the environment the customers are in. I wanted to know how to make people feel welcome at a pizzeria. I turned to a fellow employee. Alejandro Pena Acosta works at a local pizzeria called Dominick’s in Perkasie. He said, “The space must be open, not too close or else people will feel claustrophobic”. You must greet all customers with a smile, so they feel welcome and at home” he said. Another question I asked Alejandro is, “What can a pizzeria do to make everyone happy?” He responded with “You have to get involved with the community, the more you get yourself out there, more people will come running your way”. He also stated, “Having a wide variety of different pizzas is always a good thing so people will never get bored of coming to your shop.” One thing I was able to take away from both these responses is that making the pizza is just one part. The other part is making a safe and friendly space for customers.