Backstage With the Band: The Real Deal

Ashley Landis, Student Writer

Music, to me, is a priority, outlet, safe-space, hobby, and appreciation. Growing up, I admired performers and the chemistry they shared with the musicians that accompanied them on stage. It took me until I was fifteen to realize what I subconsciously dreamed of, was being in a band. The relationship, the chemistry, the sense of family, and praise was something my heart absolutely desired. I began to wonder to myself, “what is the truth behind the imperfectly perfect life of a musician in a band?”

My band, starting from left: Sean, Me, Nathan, and Aidan)

At seventeen years old, I found my band. The three people I don’t think I would know if it wasn’t for music. The drummer and I met in our first period class. He suggested another student from that class play guitar with us, just for fun. When we got together, we played a song by Greta Van Fleet. When we finished the song, all we did was look at each other with subtle smiles; we all knew what just happened, we were all thinking the same thing. Soon after, another guitarist was added to the group.  Together, we finally came up with a band name, Peace on the Rocks.

Tommy Redd and the Reddymen

I met with Sherise Rittenhouse, who shared with me her experience being the daughter of a well-known musician. Her dad, Tommy Redd, was the lead singer and player of the 12-string guitar in the band ‘Tommy Redd and the Reddymen’. Being one of the most popular rock bands in the tri-state area, Sherise explained that the reality is not worth the praise the crowd gives. Being the fashion lover that I am, I asked Sheriese to tell me about the outfits everyone would wear. She narrated her memories and shared with me that her mom designed the band’s outfits, including other local bands. My brain had so much to imagine as Sherise told me about the matching jackets her mother made for her and her brother Tommy; sequin jackets that said “Reddymen”, worn to every gig. “My mother was such a trendsetter,” she said, “she would make clothes for my barbie, my barbie was a rockstar!”. When asked how music affected her and her dad’s life, Sherise illustrated that he was a very loving father, but music was his only life. She explained that music can take you to a place you never thought you could go. “It is very important to guard your heart,” she said, “fame and attention can become more important to you than anything else”.

Sherise’s mother

Adam Rabuck, lead singer and guitarist of Dirtbike Annie and Impulse International, talked to me about his experience with music. He explained how, in order to make money and own a van, he rented his apartment and lived in the laundry room. He was content eating barbeque sauce on his pasta if it meant he could tour with his band. When I asked Rabuck to explain how music has affected his life, he said that music is simply who he is, “it’s part of my enjoyment of life”. “When I started playing music with people”, he said, “that was my thing, it gave me a sense of identity and pride as well.”

After I left each interview, I realized how much valuable information I learned. I had real-life examples to see that everyone appreciates music differently and music has a personal influence on every individual in this world. I want to restate the above question, what is the truth behind the imperfectly perfect life of a musician in a band? The life of a musician can take you somewhere you never wanted to go; taking family for granted when only focusing on praise. The life of a musician can also be worth eating barbeque pasta on the laundry room floor.

Adam Rabuck with Dirtbike Annie