The Station, Dublin PA

The Old Has Become New

Amelia Loughery, Student Writer

An old, abandoned gas station in the middle of Dublin borough, used to be something that many would say was an eyesore to the public. This gas station from the 1920s was thought to have no purpose, no possible way to restore it until Rob Loughery came along. Run by Loyd “Butch” Crouthamel, the Dublin Service Station and Garage thrived back in its prime. It offered every type of gas possible for its day and stayed open late into the night to accommodate all customers. It was the hotspot, great location, and great service.

Closing in the late ‘90s, it has been vacant ever since. After it closed, the former owner was legally required by the PA Department of Environmental Protection to remediate contamination that was discovered at the site. That clean-up took several years and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. The prior owner successfully completed the environmental clean-up and then was able to market the site for sale.

Some fun facts about the gas station back when it was open for business: Pearl Buck, American writer and novelist, filled up her tank many times there. In the 1970s, an addition was added onto the building to supply the Pennridge School District buses with service!

When Rob Loughery, now owner of The Station and several other buildings in the Dublin Town Center, was asked why he chose to restore and rebuild the gas station, his response was “because we wanted to preserve it”. The gas station sat in the middle of a big area in the middle of Dublin that Rob Loughery is restoring. Redeveloping The Station was a “clear and obvious decision to bring life back to the town” Rob Loughery explained.

The old Dublin Service Station and Garage has been brought back to its former glory, in a slightly different fashion. Now called The Station, it is used as a food court. There are 5 different culinary businesses in The Station. The businesses are Neshaminy Creek Brewery Co, Nina’s Waffles, Itri Wood Fired Pizza, Juicy Burritos, and last but surely not least, Goldie’s Grill. Goldie’s worker, Isabelle Feliciani has said “the food all around is great and there’s an option for everyone from waffles and ice cream to cheesesteaks to burritos”.

Anyone and everyone is welcomed to The Station, she says, “it’s a very friendly environment with something for all ages” coming from someone who is constantly there working and interacting with the crowd. In the summertime, there are big garage doors that will be opened to a patio with fire pits and yard games! So, the next time you are trying to figure out where to go to dinner, try out The Station and all it has to offer.