How Much Do You Know About Perkasie?

Lizzie Padva, Student Writer

Perkasie, Pennsylvania can be found in the suburbs of Philadelphia about 35 miles away. Perkasie is a town with so much history. It can be a town where everybody knows everybody or just a town with a loving community. Founded in 1708 and laid out as a replica of Philadelphia. Not only is the street grid the same but the street names are also the same.

One of Mayor Hollenbach’s favorite parts of Perkasie is the uniqueness “there is no other town in the country with the name Perkasie.” Also unique is that William Penn’s daughter and husband settled the land. The town was given its own train stop in 1853. The train station is still standing to this day and can be found on 7th street. The train station is currently unused but is kept in good condition by the Perkasie community.

Perkasie Tree Lighting

Along with Perkasie’s uniqueness, there are many traditions Perkasie celebrates. Kacie Leight has lived in Perkasie for 18 years, “My favorite Perkasie tradition is the tree lighting. I have gone with my family for as long as I can remember, no matter what age I am I always have a great time and look forward to it each year.” If you asked any Perkasie citizen this would probably be their answer as well. The Perkasie Tree Lighting is the oldest annual tree lighting in the country, and no one plans on ending the tradition any time soon. Unlike other towns the tree in Perkasie is rooted there, you can come any time of year and see the famous tree.

The Pennridge High School is located in Perkasie on 5th street. However, this was not always the case from 1926-1954 the high school was on the other end of 5th street. It was called Sell-Perk High School because it was built directly on the border of Sellersville and Perkasie. When the new high school was built there was an upper house and a lower house students would travel between when switching classes. In 2007 Pennridge opened a new school that combined the upper and lower houses. This building is where approximately 2,400 students learn every day.

The Great Fire of Perkasie in 1988

Some other notable things about Perkasie’s history include The Great Fire of Perkasie. This fire took place in 1988 and was caused by two 12-year-olds playing with matches behind the train shed. There were 15 businesses ruined and 30 people left homeless, with over 40 different fire companies trying to fight the fire. Other than the fire, Mayor Hollenbach explained how “Perkasie was known for all our little companies; there were many garment factories and a few brick companies as well.” As the community changes, these companies start to fade out.

There are many small towns scattered throughout the Philadelphia suburbs but Perkasie will always be one of the most historical. Being founded by William Penn’s family will quickly make it one town with the most history but aside from that, the town has had many historical events to add to its collection.