Wonders of Social Working

Victoria Sabath, Student Writer

When looking for a job, you may be struggling to find what really interests you. There are so many professions to get involved with and so many fields to go into. One of the professions that can open up endless amounts of opportunities in social work.

Social work is a practice-based profession that takes charge of social change and helping individuals around your community. When working in this field you need to have a basic understanding of human emotions and behaviors. You need to be able to have compassion for others who truly need it. It is important to note that social work is not for everyone. For those who have a burning fire in their hearts for others, this is the field that would most fit them.

In social work, you are working with all different types of people and communities. However, something that all have in common is you are working with people who are vulnerable and who may have been through hard times in their pasts. Depending on what type of social work you go into, will depend on the type of people you work with. For example, the different areas of social work you can get into are substance abuse, sex trafficking, child and family social work. That is only three out of the many forms of social work someone may desire to get into. The field encompasses various needs in society.

Melanie Witter worked for Pennsylvania Counseling Services. This organization helps children who may be going through a hard time. Melanie has been working in the social working field for one year, but she has always had an interest in helping people, especially children. When I asked Melanie what the word social work meant to her, she explained that “For me social work is helping others in need. You are making an impact on other people.” Melanie also explained to me that when going into social work it takes a certain type of person. She stated that “Just because social work isn’t for everyone, doesn’t mean you aren’t a caring person. But, for social work specifically, not everyone is able to do it.” She also explained that social work is more of a calling to the heart.

Natalie Sabath used to work in 911 dispatching, but now she works for a social working organization called WorthWhile Wear. This organization is made to help women who have escaped human trafficking. Natalie explained to me that her social work means “To be part of something bigger than yourself. You are helping people and also looking outside yourself.”. She also told me that after being in this program, she has a better understanding of other people’s situations. She elaborated by saying “No one asks to be homeless or addicted to drugs. Just like how people don’t ask to be sex trafficked.” Natalie also told me that social working is not for everyone. She said that you need to be able to separate your own feelings from work because there are going to be days where you will hear things that are extremely upsetting. However, you need to learn to leave work problems at work and not bring them home with you. This is because it can cause a lot of mental health problems on your part. This is something that not everyone can do and is why people may end up leaving this specific profession.

Along with helping others with their mental health, you need to be able to focus on yours as well. Something that both my sources had brought up was being able to separate yourself from work. This is very important especially after hearing the trauma that others have gone through. This is one of the reasons that this job may not be for everyone. But, if you have the passion in your heart to help others while also focusing on your own needs, then this field is right for you.

The Pennsylvania Counseling Services logo