Presidential Scholars Weekend

An Extraordinary Experience for Incoming Freshmen at High Point University

A picture of the brand new Qubein Center and Arena, being used for the dinner event on Friday, February 11.

In order to set up future students for success at High Point University, the college offers many scholarship opportunities. One of the most common ones is called the Presidential Scholar Program, which requires students to venture onto campus for a weekend and explore many different activities. While familiarizing themselves with the campus and getting to know more about the school itself, students begin to practice professional skills like interviewing, dressing in business attire, and even trading business cards. It is also a way to make some friends prior to entering college, that way students may already know some people and can adjust to the college atmosphere more easily. I can say that from my personal trip this weekend, it is truly an amazing time.

Presidential Scholar Weekend takes place during a 24-hour time span, from about 5:00 p.m. on a Friday to 5:00 p.m  Saturday. Friday is when registration takes place, as well as the “Scholars Dinner” and Welcome ceremony. What students may initially think will be a boring dinner and speech prior to attending the event is definitely the wrong perspective. High Point University did a great job ensuring that the food was well prepared, even with a slice of chocolate cake for dessert. They also provided an amazing ceremony that was engaging and highly informational. Talks from successful alumni, performances from ensembles, and even a surprise appearance from The Passing Zone, who are professional jugglers and entertainers who performed on America’s Got Talent, filled the night with laughs and excitement for incoming freshmen to enjoy.

Saturday is when the more academically based events occur. The morning began with breakfast with other students, followed by an informative presentation from the university president, Nido Qubein. The decorated journalist, businessman, and public speaker gave an inspiring speech to all of us incoming freshmen about optimizing the opportunities we are given and how to achieve success. His wisdom was highly encouraging and helped relax students’ nerves about the day through goofy humor and an inviting mood. After the presentation, students have more freedom to explore different activities, while also considering their interview times. Question and answer sessions were offered by current students so that incoming freshmen can learn from new experiences. Students are able to talk with financial aid officers, learn about ways to enhance their academic experience at the school, and tour the campus. Presidential Scholars were also welcome to meet the deans of their respective schools, which would be identified based on their major preferences. Sometimes there were also tours of the areas that students were most likely to learn from. For example, I toured the School of Communication because that is my intended focus throughout college. It was a great opportunity to get a feel for what myself and other students will call home in the fall, and also begin making connections with professors and other staff that I will be working with.

The most important part of Presidential Scholars Weekend is the interview because it allows students the ability to increase their scholarship amounts depending on how well their interview goes. This built anxieties for many students whom I talked to, but now that it is over with, I can say it really isn’t as bad as it seems. The interview panel does a great job making you feel comfortable, and as long as you have prepared ahead of time, as anyone should before an interview, there should be no problems. The interview rooms had a few people in each, with at least one current student and one professor or staff member. This was an asset to Presidential Scholars like myself because it allowed a chance to ask questions that were more specific and personal, and also provided a chance to build an early relationship with the people whom incoming freshmen may interact with in the fall.

Another nice thing about Presidential Scholars weekend is that you don’t even need to be committed to High Point to attend! Many students were still exploring other options, even though I was not. It allows students to understand what High Point University is really about, which can allow them to make a better decision about what college is the best fit for them.

The weekend concluded with a surprise; Presidential Scholars were invited to stay and be admitted to a men’s basketball game in the brand new stadium and hotel! Although some students had to hit the road quickly, I stayed for the event and really got a feel for the thrilling atmosphere surrounding sports at High Point. Parking lots were packed and there were long lines, which I wouldn’t have expected for a smaller school! I loved being able to be a part of the sports action, especially since I am committed to the Women’s Soccer team. I’m looking forward to performing for such supportive fans.

In all, Presidential Scholars Weekend was very enjoyable and made me optimistic about my future at High Point University. The stories from past alumni and information from the current staff made me confident that I will continue to grow as both a student and a person throughout my college career. I’m so glad that I can finally express my gratitude and excitement about going to college, and I can’t wait to call High Point my home this fall.