NC State Wilson College of Textiles Tour

The Wilson College of textiles is a building that looks small but has so much in it. The bottom floor of the building has multiple factories consisting of a dye lab, a fashion lab, a knitting lab, and a cotton lab. They all are unique and have amazing machines in them. A senior at the college who majors in fashion & textiles design, Emma Harris, tries to take advantage of as many of the machines as she can. “You can start at the beginning from taking the raw materials to make the cotton, then make it into a fabric and dying it, and finally, sew it into your own design,” Emma tells us. This is an amazing opportunity for anyone who is part of the Wilson College of textiles.

The college has various majors. Some of the majors offered are Fashion and Textile Management, Textile Technology, Fashion and Textile Design, Textile Engineering, and Polymer and Color Chemistry. Many students who are part of the college get amazing internships. People have gotten internships with Under Armor, Nike, Macy’s Inc, and Walt Disney World. These are valuable opportunities and set them up for a career after college.

The majors overlap in the classes mostly in Fashion and Textile Management and Fashion and Textile Design. The Fashion and Textile Management major includes more business classes and the Fashion and Textile Design major has more content about the making of clothes and designing. Emma Harris, a Fashion and Textiles Design student says, “My favorite class that I had to take was actually an entrepreneurship class which is Fashion and Textiles Management class.” The classes overlap to help you become a well-rounded student so you can know what you are talking about when talking to corporations while looking for a job. Emma gave some good advice saying, “You get more out of your classes if you come and apply them in the labs available because suddenly you can make so many new cool things.” This is a great way to look at those classes that just do not seem interesting to you.

Finally, Emma Harris says her favorite machine is, “The fabric cutter in the fashion lab; it is so helpful and makes my life easier.” The Wilson College of Textiles has so much to offer. North Carolina State University has one of the best schools that has a College dedicated to Textiles. Their students go off to do amazing things and have amazing opportunities.