David Brown: Celebrating Life’s Opportunities Every Day

Avani Kallur

David Brown by his desk in his room/

For many of us, teachers are those we look to for guidance on how to handle certain situations. As you grow older, the impact they may have had on your life becomes more apparent. David Brown is one of those teachers that leaves a long standing effect on you when you leave his classroom. Brown has been teaching at Pennridge for 10 years, and currently teaches Humanities, English, and Media Production. He attended Council Rock High School South, where he graduated in 2006. He later graduated from Kutztown University, earning his bachelor’s of science degree in education. He went on to continue his education at Cabrini University, then earning his master’s degree. Outside of being an educator, Brown also works as an investment advisor. Anyone who has had a conversation with Brown for even just five minutes can instantly distinguish his enthusiastic personality and love of meeting new people.

Brown is extremely passionate about being involved within his community. Throughout his life, he has found ways to continuously interact with people and stay engaged with society. In college, he was a part of the honors society of Phi Kappa Phi. He was also the founder of the Ultimate Frisbee Club and played club ice hockey, inline hockey, and rugby. At Pennridge, he found several ways to connect with students and co-workers. Brown helped start Pennridge Mini-THON and has been the co-advisor for nine years. When asked why he decided to take on the club, he expressed, “I like supporting kids who believe in something bigger than themselves.” The club has been extremely successful and has collectively raised over $300,000. This past year, Brown has taken on a media production course known as the Daily Ramble, which handles the daily news for Pennridge High School students. Jeremy Friedman, Brown’s mentor for the Ramble, discussed what it was like to teach Brown through the process stating, “He’s so youthful and energetic. It was almost as if he was a student. His youthfulness is so welcomed because you can’t take anything too seriously.” After adding Brown to the mix, the Ramble has had a set of fresh new ideas. Friedman explained, “I like that there is a stylistic difference from section to section this year that can be celebrated at the end of the year.”

Brown is also someone who values the freedom and authenticity that life has to offer. He loves having the opportunity to do what you want when you want and genuinely wants to live a life full of new experiences. One of his favorite things to do is travel, whether that’s alone or with someone else. He discussed his first time traveling outside of the country was when he was younger and his family went to Mexico. Brown instantly made friends with people there and three weeks later, he went back and stayed with them. In college, he studied abroad in London and he also incorporated it into his professional life and taught in China for some time. Brown described that experience to be, “A big mix of the most exhilarating and lonely things I’ve done in my life.” He expressed how it was such an amazing opportunity to learn about culture and lifestyle there, but it got hard to be away from people. He also believes that traveling can be such a fun learning experience, sharing, “You learn so much about yourself when you are pulled out of your element.” Brown’s favorite place he went to was Switzerland because he had the opportunity to ski there. Brown has been to 34 states and 34 countries.

One of Brown’s additional interests in his career is his part time job as an investment advisor. Brown shared that when teaching at another school he had his retirement account looked into and they found that he was investing very conservatively. After that, he learned more about investing and finances in general and went on to get several certifications. Brown has a series 6 license: Investment Company Products/Variable Contracts Representatives Examination. This was issued in Oct. 2015. He also has a series 63 license: Uniform Securities Agent Law Examination. This was issued Nov. 2015. Lastly, he has a series 65 license: Uniform Investment Advisor Law Examination. This was issued Aug. 2022. When discussing why he got involved, Brown explained, “If you care about being free, part of that is being financially free.”

Another important value in Brown’s life is happiness. He finds joy in daily activities and tries to make all experiences exciting. Brown not only does this for himself but he also serves as motivation to others. Friedman describes Brown to be inspirational, he shares, “He inspires me to be a kinder individual and inspires me to be more motivated.” Friedman also discussed how Brown is a good listener and a very loving individual. When asked about what happiness is to him, Brown stated, “having experiences with people you love”. Brown sees the significance of not only an exhilarating experience but sharing those experiences with close family and friends is what makes them memorable. Brown is extremely close with his family and also got married in Sept. 2021. He and his wife are also expecting a baby soon, and Brown is thrilled for this new chapter in their lives.

Brown’s love of life can show through one interaction. He is one of those individuals that you don’t come by often and truly exemplifies what it means to be a positive person. He carries that positivity with him daily and effortlessly makes a difference for others. Like most, he has his fair share of ups and downs, but what inspires everyone is the ability to come out on the other side with more resilience. His optimism is infectious, and he is the epitome of a selfless individual that unconsciously changes lives.

Sources:
“Home.” YouTube, https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-brown-8881081a8/. Accessed 24 March 2023.