Dance Your Way to Winter Ball

Alex Lippmann

For the past three years, the Pennridge Student Council has turned the school into a winter wonderland for one night at the annual Winter Ball. For only $10 on February 9 from 7-10 p.m., students are able to enjoy a variety of food choices, including Chick Fil A catering, which is new as of this year. Also new to the Winter Ball this year is DJ Richard Curtis, who has DJed many of Pennridge’s homecoming dances and proms in the past. A photo wall is available for students to take pictures with friends using fun props and scenery. The dress code is semi-formal, so ladies will look stunning in their best formal dresses, and the boys will be looking dapper in their dress shirts and pants. Students are not permitted to wear jeans or sneakers to keep the essence of a formal winter gala.

The Winter Ball has been a Pennridge tradition since the year 2017. Prior to that year, it was discontinued due to problems regarding planning and student participation. However, a petition was signed in the 2016-2017 school year by the student body to bring back the Winter Ball. Since then, it has been thriving with student participants. Student council does a phenomenal job of decorating the school and cafeteria with handmade snowflakes and other wintery ornaments. This creates the ambiance of a dreamy winter landscape. This dance would not be possible without the hard work and dedication from the student council. Student council President Rachel Keyser said, “On the day of [the Winter Ball], we are here from seven in the morning until one in the afternoon setting up.” This goes to show the amount of time and resources that are spent to make the Winter Ball an enjoyable night for all students.

Students from all grades are encouraged to attend this event that only takes place once a year. There are many exciting and upcoming new ideas that were incorporated into this year’s Winter Ball.  Senior and student council member Andrea Varkey is looking forward “seeing DJ Richard Curtis in action and having a good time with friends.” She mentioned that on behalf of the student council, “We have taken your suggestions and changed from homecoming.  We are following a music list, and we have upgraded the speaker and sound system so the bass is not as loud.”

As a Pennridge student, you are able to join your friends and classmates for a night that will leave you with memories you will have for a lifetime. The Winter Ball is a great way for both underclassmen and upperclassmen to come together for one last dance before the end of the school year.