Should Dance Be Considered a Sport?

Olivia Schumann, Student Writer

Dance should be considered a sport based on its correspondence with the definition of a sport, which says that a sport is: “an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature,” (Dictionary.com). It can be argued that dance is an art and not a sport, however it can be viewed as both. B-Boy Shigekix from Japan says that, “[break dancing] has two elements… one is sports, and one is arts. We need the stamina of athletes, but we also need to be artists and express our feelings,” (And the Next Olympic Sport Is… Break Dancing?). 

There is certainly an artistic side of dance, requiring strong mental stamina to remember choreography and portray a story with emotion. In addition, the act of dancing “strengthens your heart and lungs, tones skeletal muscles, and provides mental and emotional release,” (Sorensen). This proves that dance also has an athletic side that is comparable to other sports because it is physically demanding. Dancers get full on cardio workouts during intense practices and are constantly working their entire bodies, building strong arm, leg, and core muscles. 

The “competition” aspect of a sport is also present in dance. Dancers attend competitions, in groups or alone, to receive a trophy for their placing, just as other common sports would. Break dancing has recently been added to the 2024 Summer Olympics by the International Olympic Committee, proving dancers have the physical agility to compete alongside other athletes. Dancers have just as much, if not more, physical ability as other athletes, but dancers receive far less recognition for it. In order to bring awareness to the fact that dance is a sport, additional styles should be brought to the Olympics to exhibit the athleticism of dance.