The Academic Decision

Going back to school five days a week is essential for all students. Children all over the country and world are being affected by covid-19. One of the most important things for them is not the same, their education. Many students are at home where there may be distractions and they do not have the same learning benefits as they do during in-person school. 

Of course, going to school has its risks. There is always the possibility of contracting the coronavirus and bringing it home to a susceptible family member. Safety precautions are not the only benefit of online learning. Other benefits include more sleep and more time spent with loved ones. The Gallup news service conducted a survey where they found students are less stressed, worried and angry when they are doing school from home. 

Going to school full time, though, has its benefits. Many students do not have the ideal home life. Some students struggle with their mental and emotional health. Being at school helps adults to look out for those students. Although less stress, worry and anger were reported, some students struggle with loneliness at home. School does not only have the benefit of educational learning, but also social skills. At school, students have access to people who they would not otherwise interact and talk with. This is very beneficial. On another note, some children may have no protection at home. While home is a safe place for most students, others could be in a dangerous situation. With not going to school, endangered students may feel stuck at home, and no one (teachers, friends, counselors) can advocate for them. One parent from an article from Fox 25 said, “It’s putting them very far behind and we’re dissatisfied with it. They just need to open up and get kids back in school everyday.”