The Rise of ADHD Diagnoses in Women

Caroline Pappas, Student Writer

The rate of ADHD diagnoses among children, teens, and adults has risen rapidly over the past 20 years. The rise in diagnoses is mainly attributed to increased research into the neurobiological disorder and the spread of awareness and acknowledgment. Diagnoses have risen even more so among women and girls, but only appears to have such a drastic change because they were already low to begin with. 

When psychologists discovered ADHD in 1902, they thought it predominantly affected boys, only affecting girls in rare cases. Once that idea changed, research was able to be done, and it found that girls are equally susceptible to having ADHD. The issue surrounding this delayed realization was the failure to recognize that ADHD presents itself differently in girls than in boys. Overall, there are three types of ADHD: inattentive presentation, hyperactive-impulsive presentation, and combined presentation. Most girls are affected by the inattentive type, and most boys by the hyperactive-impulsive type. Girls’ ADHD symptoms are harder to identify because they typically display the inattentive aspects of the disorder that are more subtle. Some of these symptoms include the inability to focus for an extended period, poor time-management, low self-esteem, easily distracted, hyper-talkative, forgetful, disorganized, hyperfocus, verbal aggression, etc. Alternatively, boys typically display the well-known, stereotypical aspect of the disorder– hyperactivity. These symptoms include impulsivity, restlessness, lack of focus, difficulty staying still, excessive talking, interrupting, physical aggression, etc. The realization that girls predominantly have either the inattentive or combined presentation of ADHD is not very well known and causes many to go undiagnosed. Even when girls have the hyperactive-impulsive type, it still differs from how a boy’s would present itself. 

Psychologists estimate that 50 to 75 percent of girls living with ADHD never get diagnosed. The missed or late diagnosis of ADHD in anyone can cause the development of other conditions like depression, anxiety, OCD, eating disorders, learning disabilities, addiction, or fibromyalgia, amongst other challenges. However, women with ADHD also experience more psychological distress and have a lower self-image than men. They are also more likely to face the demoralizing experience of chronically failing to live up to societal and academic expectations. Undiagnosed women enter adulthood with only a vague sense that “there’s something wrong with me”; instead of the definitive knowledge of having a neurological difference that is not their fault, and they can receive treatment to help them. 

According to the CDC, boys are three times more likely to receive an ADHD diagnosis than girls. This disproportion isn’t because girls are less susceptible to the disorder, it’s because of how it differs in socially presenting itself among genders. In fact, in a study by The US National Library of Medicine, males and females of the same age group with the same types of ADHD were compared. They looked at executive functioning skills (the cognitive processes necessary for the cognitive control of behavior– one of the main things those with ADHD struggle with). The study found that the difference in the scores of executive functioning skills between the two genders was almost unnoticeable, reinforcing that women face the same major problems as men with the disorder, despite being severely under-diagnosed and under-treated. The study also found that it’s harder for women to receive a proper ADHD diagnosis because they are more susceptible to having co-existing conditions like anxiety and depression. Co-existing conditions distract from the root of the problem, causing psychologists to misdiagnose, making it impossible for women to receive the appropriate treatments.

People with ADHD can live out happy and successful lives. However, without the right diagnosis and treatments, they have to endure the fallout. Untreated ADHD leads to academic struggles, combative relationships with parents, social issues, excessive stress, depression, substance abuse, accidental injury, delinquency, job failure, and more– not including additional obstacles from any co-existing conditions. Early identification and treatment are crucial. There is no cure for ADHD, but there are so many customizable treatment plans available to help relieve and manage symptoms; they only require patience and commitment. With the rise in diagnoses, it’s more important than ever to be aware of ADHD and its symptoms, so you can look out for yourself and loved ones. The growing rate of diagnoses among women is excellent; but still needs to rise exponentially in order to match the diagnosis rate of men. The mass amounts of undiagnosed women and girls would have the opportunity to be identified, receive treatment, and succeed without limitations if awareness on how the disorder contrasts between men and women became common knowledge.