How Exercise Can Benefit You Further Than Physical Health

Rachel Runta, Student Writer

Working out isn’t an activity that is just essential for our physical health, but also other aspects, including our mental and emotional health. Exercise is just as great for your brain as it is for your body and is something that everyone can benefit from. Although many people try to disregard this and think that going to the gym is just for fitness junkies, they are not realizing how their decrease in exercise could be the reason for some mental or emotional issues they may be facing in their life. A study of 1.2 million people in the USA found that people who exercise report having 1.5 fewer days of poor mental health a month, compared to people who do not exercise. People who exercise regularly tend to do so because it gives them a huge sense of well-being. They feel more energetic throughout the day, sleep better at night, have sharper memories, and feel more relaxed and positive about themselves and their lives, as well as exercise being a powerful medicine for many common mental health challenges.

Many of us are aware that working out brings physical benefits, such as weight control, lower blood pressure, reduced risk of diabetes, and increased energy, but the psychological benefits can have a greater impact on someone’s life outside of their physical health. Exercise has been a scientifically proven mood booster that can help to decrease symptoms of both depression and anxiety, reduces a person’s stress levels, increase self-confidence, stronger resilience, and an overall brain boost. Starting with just 30 minutes of exercise a day can create a good start to getting on a path that will not only physically benefit you, but create a better mental and emotional state. Exercise is something everybody should try to incorporate into their daily schedules and see the different things it brings into their lives!