Boys’ Volleyball Match Recap Pennridge V.S. Central Bucks East

The Pennridge Boys Volleyball team played against the Central Bucks West Boys Volleyball team this past Tuesday, the 27th. The home team, Pennridge won the game in just three sets. In the first game, Central Bucks West had serve receive. Staying in the lead until Pennridge’s outside hitter, Skyler Ammon had two blocks in a row, putting them ahead with the second block at 9-8. Later in game one, Central Bucks West took their first timeout when the score was 14-9, home team up. To secure the victory for Pennridge, Ryan Benscoter hit the ball which ricocheted off two players before it landed out; the final score was 25-20. Game two was similar but ended with a Central Bucks player hitting the ball out of bounds, making the final score 25-16, Pennridge winning. The third and final game was led by Central Bucks West. They were up 12-16 when they took their second timeout of the set and were also up later in the game at 22-24. From there the score was back-and-forth ever since Pennridge came back to tie at 24-24. In volleyball a team must win by two, so the game went past the usual 25 points. They tied again at 25-25 until Pennridge carried it away ending with the final score of 27-25. 

Ryan Benscoter is a key returning player for the Pennridge Rams. This season he is a senior, a caption, and a starting outside hitter. Without having a season last year due to COVID-19, Ryan said, “A lot of us feel robbed of our junior, sophomore, and freshman seasons so we want to make this last one extra special.” He plans to continue his volleyball career by playing Division I at Sacred Heart University in Connecticut. Junior manager, Allison Saalfrank, has managed the boys’ team since the 2020 season which was cut short. At first, she said, “I became a manager to get my Key Club hours and National Honor Society hours, but I ended up liking it, and this year I decided to manage again.” She loves the game and plays on the Pennridge Girls Volleyball team. This is one way that she continues to stay close to the game even in her off-season. 

The Pennridge Boys Volleyball team is in a good place this season and has a lot of chemistry together. Other key players include Dan Detweiler, Nick Smith, Tyler Johnson, Alex Derk, and Thomas McKinney. Their upcoming games include May 4th (against Upper Dublin High School, home) and May 6th (against North Penn High School, away). All of their home games are live-streamed on the Pennridge TV channel live through YouTube.