The Penndulum

The Student News Site of Pennridge High School

Breaking News
  • April 18Check out The Daily Ramble linked below for important information on our RAMS Block trial next week!

The Penndulum

The Penndulum

No Better Way to Get in the Holly-Jolly Spirit

Make a family trip to the historic Shady Brook Farms Light spectacular.
Sophie Craig
The Light up Grinch and his dog Max toward the end of the lights

With nearly three million lights and activities for young and old, the 100-year-old farm is the place to be during the holiday season. During the Shady Brook Farm’s Holiday Light Show, more than three million lights are lit up on acres of farmland, making for a spectacular sight. Enjoy the show on an open-air wagon ride or drive through the park in your car to encounter whimsical displays and familiar characters. Although you may come for the lights, they have plenty of activities to make you stay. Bring your friends and snap a picture with Santa Claus, roast marshmallows around the fire, take pictures in light walk-throughs, and snuggle in with some warm food and drinks. It is without a doubt over the many years of business, and with the Flemings siblings as owners, they know how to appease their customers.

There are many enjoyable activities for people of all ages. For kids, there are the lights to keep them busy for hours and ice cream for after, but Shady Brook Farms doesn’t forget about the older crowd. As for many teenagers, as they get to the age where they can drive, they start itching for more activities to go and do with their friends. This is true for the high school junior and senior whom I was able to interview while at Shady Brook Farms. Casey Malone is a high school senior, and she has been to Shady Brook twice in December for the fun activities and great food. The first time she went she saw the lights in the car with three friends, and the second time she went on the open-air wagon ride. High school junior, Riley Williams went with her two friends and greatly enjoyed the wagon ride. To enjoy the festivities, you must purchase tickets for the drive-thru, or wagon ride. The prices for these can range anywhere from $20 to $50. Despite being more on the pricier side, the experience is worth the money. Casey rated her second experience on the hayride a 10/10, she was ecstatic to talk about it and said, “I think it was well worth the money. The hayride took much longer than expected, and we were very pleased with the experience. They had Christmas music going, seats in both directions so that you could see both sides, and it wasn’t overcrowded.” Riley Williams had a similar experience, rating it very highly as a must-see place. Riley really liked all the food there, “There were so many options; I couldn’t figure out what to choose. Everything looked and smelled amazing.” She claimed. She ended up enjoying some ice cream and hot French fries with some friends. Both girls raved over how they and their friends loved their time there and weren’t expecting all the endless things to do and explore. They and hundreds of other people who got to visit this holiday season left with their friends, family, or loved ones with a smile on their faces. Make sure to visit Shady Brook Farms next holiday season because they know how to get you in the Christmas spirit.