The Penndulum

The Student News Site of Pennridge High School

Breaking News
  • April 18Check out The Daily Ramble linked below for important information on our RAMS Block trial next week!

The Penndulum

The Penndulum

The Legacy Of The Christmas House

308 N. Fifth Street Christmas Decorations
Alexandra Roehl

Ken and Lois Heitz have been Perkasie residents for 27 years and live at the “Christmas House.” Every Holiday season since 1996, the Heitz have extravagantly embellished their 308 N. Fifth St. home with lights and decorations. This year is the most they have ever displayed, and setting it up is a laborious task. The couple started decorating in the last week of October and lit it on Thanksgiving; the completion took just over a month.

Over the years, their collection has grown considerably. When questioned about how many Christmas decorations they had, Ken laughed and said, “I couldn’t tell you, I don’t know. A lot.” In the past, the Heitz purchased new decorations whenever they saw something they liked, though they have since stopped buying new products. Ken explained that they found some of their decorations on eBay, in stores, and at Brick’s Garden Center. He also hand-made some of the displays out of wood. For example, their most famous attraction is the Menlo Park horse carousel. Lois designed the horses, and Ken painted and cut them. Some of their other designs include candy canes and nutcrackers. Dozens of Christmas lights illuminate these decorations. Ken described how the difference between saving on LED instead of incandescent lights is astronomical. He uses 5-watt LED lights, which help conserve energy and last a while. They also help to save money. Last year, their electricity bill was only a $125 increase. While it may seem expensive, the joy and support from the community is priceless.

Ken reported that people visit the house every day. When asked how he feels about it, he expressed, “Yes, it is great. They usually say how it makes them happy.” Ken and Lois enjoy being known as the ‘Christmas House” because they get to share their love for Christmas. Margaux Maxwell is a student at Pennridge High School and has lived in Perkasie for 17 years. She passes by the home “probably at least three times a day.” While she thinks the decorations are “a little bit busy,” she admitted, “I like that house, it is fun to look at.” Ken’s message this season is to “Just spread the joy of Christmas and help others enjoy the season,” and that lesson is what his house encourages. Margaux shared a story about her sister who FaceTimed her college friends just to show them the house’s decorations. The Heitz’s home has become a monument of Perkasie.

Unfortunately, this is the last year the Heitz will decorate their house. They are sending the displays to their son Andrew in Alabama. When I informed Margaux of this news, she exclaimed, “Wait, for real? That is really sad, actually.” Margaux added, “The town is going to lose its festivity.” While many may be disappointed, Ken stated it is “Time for the next generation to take over.” They do not plan on getting rid of everything, but it will be pretty small-scale. Nevertheless, Perkasie will never lose Ken’s and Lois’s Christmas spirit despite the decorations being gone, for they have created unforgettable memories.

Sources: https://www.perkasiehistory.org/memoriesofperkasie