The Penndulum

The Student News Site of Pennridge High School

Breaking News
  • April 18Check out The Daily Ramble linked below for important information on our RAMS Block trial next week!

The Penndulum

The Penndulum

Foreign Language Requirements in High Schools

Isabel Mistretta
AP Spanish Language Exam Prep Book

Knowing how to speak a second language is highly beneficial in today’s society. Being bilingual can have many positive impacts, including better multi-tasking, increased awareness and appreciation for other cultures, and easier traveling (Global Citizen). These are just a few of world languages’ many benefits to society. Despite all these benefits, foreign language is not a mandatory requirement in most schools in the United States. Many states and schools categorize foreign language classes as an elective and not a mandatory requirement. In Pennsylvania specifically, all schools must provide at least two world languages for students, but there are no statewide graduation requirements. It is up to the individual school districts to set requirements (Pennsylvania Department of Education). Pennsylvania and the United States should have school mandates for foreign languages. America is behind in language learning compared to other countries like Europe (Tufts Daily).

The most significant concern with implementing graduation requirements for foreign languages is that not every student will be interested. This could take away from them taking classes that they are seriously interested in and ones that will help them become more successful in what they plan to study. Raena Hall, a senior at Pennridge High School, is not taking a language class in her senior year. She believes that there should not be foreign language requirements. Hall says, “As a biomedical engineering major, I would not find the same value in a foreign language class as I would in an additional calculus class.” Although world language may not be beneficial for specific majors on the surface levels, the benefits can apply to all aspects of daily life. Sophia Trumbower and Ava Vesey, seniors in Advanced Placement Spanish Language and Culture, this year at Pennridge, see the positives of having foreign language requirements. Vesey says, “My favorite part about my Spanish class is learning about a different culture and how differently people around the world live their lives from us. Overall, I believe that my language classes have made me a more well-rounded student.” Vesey believes graduation requirements would help with future communications and advancements in our country. Trumbower has similar views, stating, “I have found my language classes very beneficial, and I am glad I continued taking Spanish.” She also agrees that it should be required to take a foreign language because “it helps to expand your worldview and helps you to think in different ways.”

Another concern for implementing graduation requirements is the current teacher shortage. Requirements would require more qualified language teachers, which are hard to find due to the shortage (Language Testing International). A solution to this would be to require only two years of foreign language at the high school level. This allows students to continue or start learning a language. The two required years could encourage the students to continue their language path. Enforcing requirements for foreign languages in high schools could promote bilingualism and broaden horizons, including travel, communication, and the workforce.

Sources:

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/7-benefits-of-learning-another-language/

https://www.education.pa.gov/Documents/Teachers-Administrators/Curriculum/World%20Languages/World%20Languages%20%20Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.pdf

https://www.tuftsdaily.com/article/2023/10/the-us-needs-to-improve-foreign-language-education#:~:text=American%20foreign%20language%20education%20has,U.S.%20studying%20a%20foreign%20language.

https://www.languagetesting.com/blog/the-bilingual-teacher-shortage-a-challenge-and-an-opportunity/#:~:text=Even%20though%20the%20country%20has,with%20the%20future%20of%20work.