The Penndulum

The Student News Site of Pennridge High School

Breaking News
  • April 18Check out The Daily Ramble linked below for important information on our RAMS Block trial next week!

The Penndulum

The Penndulum

Pennridge Little League: Swinging into a New Season

Baseball+glove
Andrei! is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Baseball glove

The Pennridge Little League is a big part of the community here in Perkasie. The junior baseball league’s motto is, “Let the kids play ball!” With over 600 players, Pennridge Little League is a year-round institution. There are intramural programs in the fall and spring, as well as tournaments and travel games that take place at the end of spring through the summer. During the winter, they host off-season training and workouts to prepare for the upcoming seasons. Open to all local kids ages 4-16, Pennridge Little League is committed to teaching the fundamentals of baseball while also providing a fun outlet and sense of team spirit for the players. The “Major Complex” is the main field they use for the games and is located at 200 West Walnut Street, right in the middle of Perkasie.

The games bring the community together when they come out to support the young players. A current Pennridge Little League coach, Frank Sica, said, “It gives people a chance to watch their children play baseball. They are able to include grandparents and other family members. It’s all free for people to watch.” Additionally, the league instills good values in its players. They strive to teach the players honor, integrity, and respect. Pennridge Little League gives the young athletes access to team life and some friendly competition. It provides them with an opportunity to make friends and build relationships within the community. When asked his favorite part of participating in the league, Matthew Sica said, “Playing with my friends and the competitiveness.”

Just recently, Pennridge Little League has launched its very own Challenger Division. It is an adaptive program for elementary-age kids with mental and physical disabilities. The program will start in the 2024 spring season. It gives the children a safe and comfortable environment to learn the sport of baseball in a fun, non-competitive way. This division specifically accommodates each child’s needs. Baseball players and coaches from Pennridge High School often help out, as well as other organizations like Key Club. They show up to help teach the players the fundamentals of the sport and to cheer them on. The teams will gather twice a week for instructional practices and games throughout the season. The Pennridge Little League Challenger Division makes a positive impact on these kids and their families in the Pennridge Community. Some benefits include improving both mental and physical health, fostering social and emotional skills, and creating a sense of belonging in the community.

With spring right around the corner, Pennridge Little League is preparing for the 2024 baseball season. Every year, during April, Pennridge Little League holds an opening-day parade. Players and coaches arrive at the Perkasie Firehouse for the beginning of the parade and make their way to the Pennridge Little League Complex, where the opening ceremony is held. The ceremony is followed by games, raffles, and activities, including the Home Run Derby. The opening-day parade offers something for all ages in the community, making it a valued tradition of Perkasie and Pennridge Little League.

Sources:
https://www.pennridgell.org/Default.aspx?tabid=2650415
https://www.pennridgell.org/Default.aspx?tabid=2754450
https://m.facebook.com/Pennridgell
https://www.pennridgell.org/Default.aspx?tabid=2541775&mid=2580412&newskeyid=HN1&newsid=288848&ctl=newsdetail