The Penndulum

The Student News Site of Pennridge High School

Breaking News
  • April 18Check out The Daily Ramble linked below for important information on our RAMS Block trial next week!

The Penndulum

The Penndulum

The Future of the Past

A Look Into the Upcoming Album from William Nicholas
The album cover for William Nicholas’ album “Pizazz”

William Nicholas, better known as Nick Katits, is a singer and songwriter preparing to unveil his newest album, “Pizazz,” just as the weather transitions to its pleasant spring feel. This album marks his fifth album release and his seventh release altogether. He discovered his passion for writing songs in tenth grade and continues to create more now because he greatly enjoys writing and making music. He loves making a new idea come to life and take shape before his eyes.

Nick has spent slightly over two months creating the songs for “Pizazz.” Starting at the piano or synthesizer, Nick crafts his songs by working out different melodies through experimentation with different sounds. Once he discovers something he likes, he adds a simple drum pattern to keep the tempo. Gradually, he layers various instruments into the track until the song takes shape. Then, once the backing track is done, the lyrics–often written within only ten to fifteen minutes–are recorded and overdubbed to make specific lines of the song pop and to make the song’s atmosphere more dynamic. Finally, he edits the volume, reverb, echoing, and more effects to add more sounds that fit the song’s vibe. Nick finishes by listening to the final product a minimum of five times to ensure everything sounds right.

“Pizazz” is comprised of nine songs, each with its own inspiration. One song on the album, “Two IV The Price of One,” was inspired by Angela Bofill’s song “Let Me Be the One.” The song was also subconsciously inspired by Prince and many other artists. The lyrics in the song tell the story of a guy who unknowingly gets involved with a criminal, a narrative that came to Nick all at once. Another track on the album, “Praying,” is Nick’s take on the city pop genre, drawing inspiration from artists like Junko Yagami, Tatsuro Yamashita, and I Re’in For Re’in. It’s a happy yet mournful song, describing a woman who lost a man and is praying for him to return, only to realize that she needs to go her own way. Amanda Fisher, a student at Pennridge High School, states that this song was her favorite. “I listened to it four times. It lingered in my head, as it had a very distinct beat to it.” “Pizazz” also features the song “LXT-9963,” which Nick created as a homage to Prince and his group, The Time. The sound and style of “LXT-9963” is similar to The Time’s “777-9311.” The lyrics themselves are also inspired by Prince’s. The song tells us of a woman who wasn’t satisfied with her man and left him, only to later come back for revenge. The song is dark and yet still playful and fun. It is the collective favorite amongst our newsgroup.

Despite Nick Katits only being a senior in high school, his album sounds like it was professionally done. Fisher stated, “It was professional. I feel like he is very talented in that way. He is very good at making it seem like it was made in a studio and not in his bedroom.” Brenda Peralta Joa, a junior at Pennridge High School, also shares this opinion. She commented, “It seemed professionally done. All the instruments went well together; the voice was clear, and it sounded crisp. There were multiple sounds in the background, and his voice was put on twice, which was impressive and advanced.”

“Pizazz” is a good album for anyone who likes the ‘80s style of music. However, you don’t have to be obsessed with ‘80s music to enjoy these songs. Peralta Joa admits, “I’m surprised I liked it because it’s not my style of music choice, but it sounded very well put together. It reminded me of the old days.” So, whether you love ‘80s music and the nostalgic feeling it brings, or are just curious to hear what Nick’s album sounds like, give it a listen! It will be released right around spring break, with the link posted on his Instagram account @williamnicholasofficial.