The Penndulum

The Student News Site of Pennridge High School

Breaking News
  • April 18Check out The Daily Ramble linked below for important information on our RAMS Block trial next week!

The Penndulum

The Penndulum

Find Peace on the Water

Jodi Maguire
Kayaking under 313.

The weather is getting warmer, making it a great time of year to head to your closest lake with your friends and your kayaks. There are no time limits and the only rule is to stay safe. If you’re bored this summer and want to add something new to your daily routine, try out kayaking!

Going kayaking is a great way to work out and have fun at the same time. You need strength, endurance, and coordination. Kayaking can help reduce stress and improve your overall happiness! The best part about kayaking is you can take a break at any time. If you’re tired of paddling, you can lay your paddle across the kayak and flow with the current, like a lazy river. Bask in the sun and feel the warmth on your face. The lake gives off a breeze so you don’t need to worry about being too hot.

Kayaking is a rewarding, exciting activity that offers benefits for both your mind and body. Whether you’re an experienced kayaker or just starting, there’s something in it for everyone. You can enjoy kayaking solo or with a group. If you’re inexperienced, it’s best to start with another person who can teach you the ropes and help you in case you fall. Kayaks are very steady and it’s hard to flip them over. However, you should always wear a life vest in case you inadvertently go for a swim.

When you’re out kayaking, look closely, you’ll be able to spot some turtles resting on branches poking out of the water. You’ll cross paths with geese and herons as well. Crows will watch you from above on the trees bordering the lake. Soak up the sun and enjoy the nature. Kayaking is not just a recreational activity, it’s an adventure that shows you the world from a whole new angle. It doesn’t matter whether you’re paddling through a silent stream, a whispering lake, or roaring whitewater rapids.

Gavin McCusker, a kayak instructor, shared his tips for kayakers, “Don’t give up. Try your hardest to make this a routine, it will get easier the more you do it”. You’ll have a relaxing ride if you don’t purposely tip a kayak from side to side. You should have sunscreen, water, a life vest, and a first-aid kit when going kayaking. You don’t need to break the bank to have a great day. Many lakes sell and rent kayaks. Stevie Potter, a frequent kayaker, stated that kayaking makes her feel like she is “doing something good for herself,” and that she enjoys the “peace and quiet.”

Our newsgroup had the opportunity to go kayaking recently at Nockamixon Lake. We started around 8:30 in the morning and arrived back at the dock around 11 a.m. We were lucky enough to have the sun out and a slight breeze. Our group paddled down to a bridge and paddled back, staying mostly dry and most of all, having one of the most fun experiences.

Sources:
https://www.blazinpaddles.com/a-brief-history-of-kayaking/#:~:text=The%20first%20kayaks%20were%20rudimentary,animal%20skins%2C%20bones%20and%20wood.
https://www.blazinpaddles.com/beginners-guide-to-kayaking-paddling-your-way-to-fun-and-fitness/
https://www.blazinpaddles.com/kayaking-safety-essentials-how-to-stay-safe-on-the-water/