The Penndulum

The Student News Site of Pennridge High School

Breaking News
  • June 6Check out our final articles of the 23-24 school year! Have a great summer! See you in September!

The Penndulum

The Penndulum

A Skin Care Guide for College

Amidst the late-night study sessions, the up-and-down diet plans, and the whirlwind of college life, your skin health can often take a backseat. A study by the World Family Medicine Journal concluded that the prevalence of acne among college students was 87%. Its severity among 48% of participants was mild, 39.6% was moderate, and 12.3% had severe acne. The new journey of life with academic rigors and afresh independence can truly skew your perception of one’s complexion. In our guide, we will get into the fundamentals of customized skin care specifically for the college demographic, contributing tips, dermatologist-based insights, and product recommendations to help navigate the puzzle of skin care choices. All of this is to achieve a glowing, healthy complexion despite the challenges of collegiate life.

Some key tips for maintaining healthy and radiant skin recommended by professional dermatologists are being hydrated, getting enough sleep per night, wearing sunscreen, and washing your face twice daily. There is no guarantee that these tips will clear your acne, but they are the steps you need to take to build healthy skin. Emma Craig, who just graduated from Azusa Pacific University earlier in May, had a positive change regarding her skin and college combining. When discussing the factors mentioned above, Craig stated, “Absolutely! Stress, lack of sleep, and a crazy routine can totally mess with your skin. They mess up your hormones, increase inflammation, and leave your skin vulnerable to breakouts.” As she has officially survived college, looking back, she is forever grateful for her productive visits and wonderful dermatologist. Ultimately, she fully credited her healthy skin to creating a routine for herself and the constant hydrating. Although Craig is among a niche group that saw improvement in her four years, she followed the recommended tips and tricks to help.

There are plenty of things you can physically do to avoid a breakout or sunburn, but there are essential products you should use daily. Healthy habits are vital to give you the healthiest skin possible. As an upcoming college student, keep these tips in mind to maintain the perfect skincare routine. Always start with a good cleanser that works well with your skin type. When shopping for back-to-school products, find a hydrating cleanser that is specially formulated for your skin. Then, add a toner or serum as your treatment. Moisturizing is always last, apply your products from the thinnest consistency to the thickest. It can be brutal transitioning seasons or environments, so apply a hydrating and nourishing moisturizer that’s packed with hyaluronic acid. Temple University graduate, Julianna Casey speaks on her experience with transitioning into college. “After moving away my skin became more dry, but I was able to keep up with it by using different moisturizing products. The same thing would happen when I would visit home. I also will get small breakouts during times of stress.” Casey maintained healthy and clear skin by cleansing her face in the shower, applying eye cream, and moisturizing twice a day. The most important step is to repeat!

When it comes to maintaining your skin at college, the key is consistency. Establishing a simple routine with products that work for your skin type, staying hydrated, getting enough sleep, and protecting your skin is crucial. Remember that including self-care is important for your overall well-being. Keep up with your routine and your skin will thank you.