The Penndulum

The Student News Site of Pennridge High School

Breaking News
  • June 6Check out our final articles of the 23-24 school year! Have a great summer! See you in September!

The Penndulum

The Penndulum

Meal Prepping

Achieve Your Health and Fitness Goals
Anna Croyle
Cooking chicken in bulk for a protein-packed week of meal-prepping

Whether you are getting ready to head to your workout or finding a balanced meal to eat post-workout, meal prepping ensures you are properly fueled. Setting aside meals that are nutrient-packed and contain each of the necessary food groups, fruits, vegetables, grains, proteins, and dairy, makes the rush of everyday life easier. By combining the two you are able to achieve your physical goals and also improve your overall health.

Meal prepping doesn’t have to just be for athletes or competitive bodybuilding; anyone looking to improve their performance should utilize the accessibility of meal prepping. Sabrina Nuneviller, a Merck employee in her early twenties, has been prioritizing her overall health and recently began meal prepping. Nuneviller said, “Being able to grab a prepped meal out of the fridge is very helpful when taking meetings all day.” Meal prepping is definitely a task that you need to set time aside to do all at once, but it gives you the ability to grab a quick, nourishing meal when you are on the go later. Once she began meal prepping more often, Nuneviller remarked, “It helped me feel good throughout the week, which then made my workouts feel good as well.” By repeatedly feeling good throughout workouts, you can notice personal growth and move toward your goals. Whether you are looking to gain muscle, lose body fat, gain weight, etc. adjusting the ratio of protein to carbs to fruits/vegetables, anyone can modify their meal prep to reach their desired result.

One of the best things about meal prepping is the fact that it is versatile. Employees like Nuneviller can use it to help them improve their overall health, while collegiate athletes like Bobby Croyle can use it to help reach their goals in the gym. Croyle is a football player at Susquehannah University and speaks to the emphasis that is placed on nutrition and weight lifting there. He says, “This year, we hired a nutrition guy who gave us a crazy big nutrition packet; there was almost too much information. It made me more mindful of eating more food in general, especially eggs. I have like 5 over-easy eggs with sausage every morning.” Unlike many other people who participate in meal prepping, football players are often catering their meals towards helping them gain weight through muscle mass. Croyle adds, “Gaining weight is tough for me, so I have to eat certain foods to get results in the gym and gain weight.” To do so, he says, “I mainly focus on protein. I eat lots of chicken and try to have a protein shake after every workout. I also focus on supplements. I take creatine every day. If I don’t take creatine for a week, I drop down visibly in muscle mass, so that’s really important.”The combination of a need for muscle mass and a hectic schedule is a perfect call for meal prepping. Many football players pack their meal-prepping containers with protein like chicken, as well as foods like rice and vegetables, making their ability to gain muscle mass and balance their schedule much easier.

It is clear that meal prepping for the gym is a helpful and versatile thing. The combination of these two activities can lead to many things, including better overall health and peak athletic performances. If you or someone you know is trying to see a difference in their health or performance, or even just doesn’t have the time in the day to make nutritious meals, introduce them to meal prepping. If you want more information, check out the blogs “All in Athletes” and “Anyone Can Lift.” Never underestimate the power of a good meal!

Sources:

The Beginner’s Guide to Meal Prepping

https://tiltonfitness.com/f/why-meal-prepping-is-vital-to-your-fitness-routine
https://www.menshealth.com/uk/nutrition/a26128424/meal-preps-for-muscle-gain/
https://eatcleanbro.com/blogs/blog/what-to-eat-before-and-after-working-out