The Art of LEGO SpongeBob Stop Motion

Reyna Renz, Student Writer

The words “LEGO” and “SpongeBob” may not seem like anything meaningful and are most likely considered childish by many. However, there is a whole world, multiple words in fact, of LEGO SpongeBob stop motion, that shouldn’t be considered as such. Stop Motion is a form of animation where multiple photographs are put together to create movement. LEGO Stop Motion is a very common form seen throughout YouTube, and has been for a very long time. Keep in mind that while this article focuses on LEGO SpongeBob, all LEGO and non-LEGO stop motions deserve appreciation.

LEGO SpongeBob stop motions in particular have been around on Youtube for over 13 years and continue strongly to this day. While most of the original LEGO SpongeBob creators no longer make content, they inspired the content being created today. An example of today’s LEGO SpongeBob creators is Connor White, who started making LEGO SpongeBob content around two years ago, and has recently reached 1,000 subscribers on YouTube.

Quarantine had given White more time to grow his content, and he believes that’s when his channel became “good.” While White seems to have a more casual approach to stop motion, saying, “I make them when I feel like it,” that doesn’t mean they don’t have a lot of effort put into them. White explained that making an episode can take up to a few weeks, depending on Noah Bradford and Connor White’s Youtube Channels, respectively, via Youtube.

what else he may be doing during that time. “I like making them because I like the [real SpongeBob SquarePants] show and the 

characters, and I want to make my own stories with them,” White stated. White’s stories include random crossovers and fourth wall breaks that set his LEGO SpongeBob series apart from others. White has also branched out to make non-SpongeBob LEGO stop motion and plans on doing so more in the future, but LEGO SpongeBob remains his focus.

While White’s series and many others are comedy-based, LEGO SpongeBob is not limited to comedy. A good example of this is YouTuber Noah D. Bradford, who has been making LEGO SpongeBob content for six years, and having earned 16,000 subscribers in that time. Bradford had even filmed LEGO SpongeBob videos before his channel was made, inspired by other LEGO SpongeBob creators. Even when he started YouTube, Bradford was 11 years old, and his content wasn’t even stop motion at first. Since then, his series has grown along with him, and while he did run into obstacles along the way, he is still going, continuing to improve his content. Bradford’s series is now a big production, with multiple scripts being written at once while another may be in the animation process, which alone takes around a month. He also makes some money from it, saying it could range from $20 to $50 a month.

Bradford recently finished his fifth season of LEGO SpongeBob, which is when he included some very unique elements. While most series’ have new stories every episode, Bradford’s fifth season followed one consistent story, which he described as including comedy, but also incorporating big adventures, drama, and even covering mental health issues. “[I want people to] remember it just for being a true expression of my feelings at the time that I make it,” Bradford explained. Bradford’s statement gets to the core of what LEGO SpongeBob content is all about. It’s a creative outlet for people of all ages, where everyone who makes it brings something unique to the table. Why LEGO SpongeBob in particular stands out is unclear, but it is one of the more popular themes. However, it can attract a typically kid audience. 

Bradford personally wants to branch out into other forms of animation that people may take more seriously, and make more original content. He still wants to keep up with LEGO SpongeBob as well for the time being, as the community keeps him motivated, and he is happy to help influence it. “Everyone [in the community] is so passionate and I like to see the culture and community growing…,” Bradford said. “I want to keep supporting it.”