Fast Fashion and How It Is Killing the Industry and the Planet

Olivia Power, Student Writer

H&M, Forever 21, Shein, are all examples of cheap clothing stores that are flocked to by teens and young adults alike. The shelves, stacked with $3 t-shirts and $15 jeans. Fast fashion is an industry that is steadily growing but is taking the planet down simultaneously. As more and more join the trend of buying fast fashion, the landfills grow taller and the industry grows smaller. Global warming is a race against time and the fast fashion industry is speeding up the clock.

These companies, while building an empire, leave their employees behind. 93% of brands are not paying their workers a living wage (Fashion Checker, 2020). This results in the price of the clothing being lower than usual. Cheaper materials are being used, and the workers involved are being severely underpaid. Materials are thrown out and are not saved and reused. Recycling is non-existent within these companies. It is estimated that $500 million a year is sacrificed and lost due to the elimination of recycling within these companies (Ellen MacArthur Foundation, 2017). These companies also limit the money spent on brands that do recycle and that do pay their workers fairly. However, because of these expenses within the company, the garment prices rise, making it less appealing to the consumer. While the fast fashion industry has caused a huge detriment to the pandemic that is global warming, the fashion industry as a whole is responsible as well, producing 8% of ALL carbon emissions present in the Earth’s atmosphere (UN Environment, 2019). 

Most of the damage that has occurred is irreversible. However, that does not mean that it can not be lessened over time. Thrifting is an amazing way to reuse and recycle clothing without contributing to the forever growing fashion landfills. Upcycling used or old clothing from your family or a thrift store is another way to recycle materials, while creating new and unique looks that are completely inspired by your own style. Both aforementioned methods double cost effective as well. However, if you have the means and financial capabilities, buying clothing from smaller boutiques or more expensive brands, that are known to be environmentally friendly, is worth it in the long run. Those garments will last longer without creating devastating, lasting effects to the environment. The world is on fire, and by contributing to the fast fashion industry, we are simply adding more kindle. It is time to start to put it out. It is time to rid the world of fast fashion.