The Penndulum

The Student News Site of Pennridge High School

Breaking News
  • April 18Check out The Daily Ramble linked below for important information on our RAMS Block trial next week!

The Penndulum

The Penndulum

How-To Make Morir Soñando

Morir soñando is a very popular drink in the Dominican Republic, but Puerto Ricans, Cubans, and many more countries have their versions of this delicious drink. Morir soñando is Spanish for “to die dreaming.” Most people accompany their lunches with this drink. It is said that when you drink morir soñando it brings you back to the feeling of summer. There are many different ways to make this drink. All, of which taste unique in their own way. It is said to avoid drinking orange juice after drinking milk. They say it’s because the amount of protein in milk can interact with the vitamin C in the orange juice. This reaction can alter the digestive process. You can experience symptoms such as abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea, etc. Morir soñando has proven this statement wrong. There is an option for people who don’t like orange juice. Passion fruit and lemon juice are also very popular replacements.

After conducting an educational poll most people didn’t know about this drink. However, only a few would not have it again. Reasons that only consisted of the drink being too sweet. This is something you can quickly adjust to your liking. However, many people said that this drink brought them back to their childhood memories. Nevertheless, all of them would recommend it to a friend or family member. I was born in the Dominican Republic, and it wasn’t until 4 years ago that I learned about this drink. I was surprised my parents didn’t talk about it before then. Once I tried this drink, I knew it would be my personal favorite. While you’re at it, put it in a plastic cup and take it with you to work, school, etc. Try out this drink yourself using this recipe, and make sure to leave a comment below! Don’t forget to tell your friends and family members.

The ingredients and measurements are listed below.

15-minute preparation time

Serves about two people.

1. Use cold concentrated orange juice to prepare the morir soñando. Avoid orange juice with pulp. Follow the step-by-step directions on the package if you bought the orange juice concentrated. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar. This is if and only if the orange juice you use doesn’t already have any.

1. Add 1 cup of ice into the orange juice.

Set aside your orange juice to prepare the milk portion.

1. Add 2 cold cups of half-and-half milk.

1. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar. This is not the time to skimp on the sugar. If you would like to, you can also add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.

1. Properly mix your milk, sugar, and vanilla extract together using a spoon.

1. Slowly add the milk into the orange juice while you’re rotating the orange juice jar in a circular motion. If you pour the mixture into the orange juice too quickly, the orange juice won’t be able to mix properly with the milk.

1. Serve right away when prepared. If you let it sit out for too long, the orange juice and milk will separate.
  2. Enjoy!

Sources:

https://www.encantosworld.com/resources/learn-about-the-caribbean-islands-morir-sonando-milk-and-orange-juice#:~:text=The%20origins%20of%20this%20drink,Issa%20from%20Issa’s%20Edible%20Adventures!

https://www.dominicancooking.com/morir-sonando

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/tips-for-writing-a-captivating-feature-article

https://www.vinmec.com/en/news/health-news/healthy-lifestyle/when-is-the-best-time-to-drink-orange-juice-should-i-drink-it-before-going-to-bed/#:~:text=Avoid%20drinking%20orange%20juice%20after,bloating%2C%20diarrhea%2C%20…