The Penndulum

The Student News Site of Pennridge High School

Breaking News
  • April 18Check out The Daily Ramble linked below for important information on our RAMS Block trial next week!

The Penndulum

The Penndulum

Cat Cafes: A Fun Experience for Everyone

This is Grayson, one of the cats up for adoption at Mewow!

Imagine a place where you could sip a cup of coffee, enjoy a dessert, and pet a cat. At a cat cafe, you can! There are mixed reactions to this idea: some are overjoyed, and others not so much. Whether you think you like it or not, a cat cafe is a unique experience and a great activity when you want to try something new.

The first cat cafe was opened in 1998 in Taiwan. Originally, it was called Cat Flower Garden, but is now known as Cafe Cats and Dogs. As the idea grew in popularity, cat cafes began popping up in Australia, Colombia, South Africa, India, and the United Kingdom. The idea caught on in the United States in 2014, and 10 years later, cat cafes are still a fun destination. Not only do cat cafes offer a fun experience for visitors, but many of them also provide a safe, comfortable, and loving environment for cats who are looking for a new home. Many of these cafes partner with local shelters and other organizations that help people who may be looking for a cat to adopt. A great example of this is MeWow Cat Cafe, located in Doylestown, Pennsylvania. Since its opening in 2019, MeWow has currently helped find a home for 523 cats, and the number continues to grow. Elinene Shaffer, the owner of the cafe, shares that approximately eight cats get adopted each week. “When the cats are older like they are now, it takes three weeks for them to get adopted out. Our younger cats get adopted in around seven to 10 days,” she says.

Interested in visiting MeWow to see the cats for yourself? As you approach the building, you can catch a glimpse through the large bay window of happy cats lying on the windowsill, climbing cat towers, and playing with visitors. Once inside, you’ll be greeted by cheerful staff who can assist you and will gladly answer any questions you may have. Space at MeWow fills up quickly, especially on the weekends, so making a reservation ahead of time by calling or visiting their website is highly recommended. While you wait for your reservation, you can sit and enjoy a cat-themed cookie and a cup of coffee or browse their selection of cat-themed gifts, toys, and more.

A common misconception about cat cafes is that the cats can roam freely around the space. You may be happy to learn that at MeWow, the cats are confined to a spacious room in the cafe known as the Kitty Corral, but there are other seating options and a window view for those who have allergies or don’t want to personally interact with the cats. It’s also important for visitors to note that no one under the age of five is allowed in the Kitty Corral, and children under age 15 must be accompanied by an adult and have a waiver signed to interact with the cats. For those who choose to enter the Kitty Corral, a staff member will call you at your reserved time slot and explain how to make the most of your experience while keeping the cats safe. MeWow also provides toys and other activities that allow visitors to have fun interactions with the cats. Brennan Geib, a first-time customer at MeWow, shares his experience in the Kitty Corral. “I was welcomed by the cats as they walked by meowing at me… the cats make the atmosphere more positive because they bring a good mood to the people…but also negative due to all the hair from them.” Ben Justisen, also a visitor at MeWow, recommends bringing a smaller group if you plan to go into the Kitty Corral. “If you were going to take a big group…there’s no way you’ll fit them. But for a date or to hang out with a friend, like me, it’s perfect.”

Another common concern customers have about visiting a cat cafe is the cleanliness of the environment. MeWow prioritizes cleanliness to ensure that customers have a safe and enjoyable experience. Shaffer explains, “We have a morning, afternoon, and weekly cleaning schedule. And nearly everything we use is biodegradable and organic hydrogen peroxide so we don’t expose the cats or people to any harmful chemicals. We are always cleaning everything, and we clean all the toys between the visits with people.” In addition, Kimberly Destefano, a customer whose daughter worked at the cafe, shares that all of the food at MeWow is pre-prepared and pre-packaged, so customers don’t have to worry about finding cat hair in their food.

Whether you’re a cat person or not, MeWow Cat Cafe offers a unique experience for anyone looking to try something new. You can follow the cafe on social media to see photos of the cats or visit them in person Wednesday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. or 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Sources:
    https://mewow.cafe/why-meeting-cats-through-mewow-is-purrfect/
    https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cat-cafes-world/index.html
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbender/2015/02/13/are-cat-cafes-americas-next-big-thing/?sh=4801433972a4